- n a slight wetness
- v deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
- v restrain or discourage
the sudden bad news damped the joyous atmosphere
- v make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible
- v lessen in force or effect
- s slightly wet
clothes damp with perspiration
- Firedamp The second greatest mining catastrophy known in Germany occurred in the Minister Stein mine at Dortmund when 200 or more miners perished in an explosion.
- She tells stories of people who are taken from their homes at night and never come back; about extrajudicial executions; about the hungry refugees in cold and damp camps.
- Then comes Election Day and a piece of damp cardboard.
News & Articles
- Fixes, funding brighten 'Bay Lights' day
Fixes, funding brighten 'Bay Lights' day Crews working for the "Bay Lights" project delved into the problem and found that the damp air, high winds and bridge vibrations somehow combined to push moisture into some of the 25,000 LED lights, said Ben Davis, a public relations executive and head of the privately financed Illuminate the Arts organization, the project sponsor. Since the problem was ...
June 15, 2013 - San Francisco Chronicle
- Wyoming state forester says state still damp
Wyoming's state forester says conditions remain too damp to fuel the kind of large forest fires that are burning in the southern Rocky Mountains.
June 13, 2013 - KGWN-TV Cheyenne
- Director of Center of Innovation and Entrepreneurship sets plan in motion
Damp from pelting rain, Jim Roberts sauntered into Harris Teeter's Port City Java, ordering his third cup of coffee for the day. He is already hard at work getting UNC Wilmington’s new Cente...
June 12, 2013 - The Seahawk
- Avery Johnson in USA Today
Damp obviously was very inspired,coach Avery Johnson said. "We need him to do what he did tonight, not necessarily the numbers but being aggressive going to the basket."
- Jim Leyland in International Herald Tribune
Both teams I think were a little slugglish after laying around like that, but not one more than the other obviously,Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "Come out of it, the ball was kind of funky for the first couple of innings, damp. That's...
- Mark Webber in autosport.com
Going off the track at Turn 6 was 100 percent my fault,said Webber. "I didn't respect the green Astroturf that sits on the outside of the track enough. I was a bit too loaded up on the outside of the track, the Astroturf was a bit damp,...