- n a deaf person who is unable to speak
- n a device used to soften the tone of a musical instrument
- v deaden (a sound or noise), especially by wrapping
- s expressed without speech
a mute appeal
- s unable to speak because of hereditary deafness
- Though home to us all, the earth is mute.
- We stand passively mute in the United States Senate.
- Republicans mute their criticism of the President's China trip (7398) Clinton: Don't Do As We Do It's environment day in the Clinton China campaign, and the message is "learn .
News & Articles
- Goldfrapp Announces 'Tales of Us' Album
U.K. electronic duo Goldfrapp has announced that their sixth studio album, "Tales of Us," will be released on Sept. 10 through Mute Records.The album...
June 11, 2013 - Billboard
- William Pinkney in Forbes
I've seen people just stand mute,said Capt. William Pinkney, who will sail for part of the voyage. "It's a touchstone to a past that rarely gets talked about."
- Oommen Chandy in South Asia Mail
They marched towards the courts in the state and police remained a mute spectator. This means the government is also party to these verbal attacks unleashed by your leaders,he said.
- James Earl Jones in Reuters
Growing up, I was mute to the outside world, but there were hundreds of conversations in my head......Through a love of reading, I was able to overcome my muteness and pursue a career in which my voice would be my most prominent asset,Jones...