- v make vague or obscure or make (an image) less visible
- v cut a girdle around so as to kill by interrupting the circulation of water and nutrients
- v make vapid or deprive of spirit
- v lessen the momentum or velocity of
deaden a ship's headway
- v become lifeless, less lively, intense, or active; lose life, force, or vigor
- v make less lively, intense, or vigorous; impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation
deaden a sound
- v convert (metallic mercury) into a grey powder consisting of minute globules, as by shaking with chalk or fatty oil
- Edwin Pond Parker II, 39, one-time husband of Manhattan Poetess Dorothy Rothschild Parker; of an overdose of sleeping potion to deaden toothache; in Hartford.
- By eliminating the hospitable jumble of shop fronts, restaurant entrances and newsstands, the walls deaden the very city life their builders claim to "revitalize.
- His pulpit thunderings were consistently concerned with Faith, and helped considerably to deaden his own still small voice of doubt.
News & Articles
- Dablemont: How to Spend a Fall Day
A river hunter has to know how to camouflage his boat, and paddle from one side of the craft without making any noise. It is wise to deaden the sound of those aluminum boats with rubber mats if you can, on the floor and wrapped around seats or supports as well.
Oct. 19, 2013 - Waynesville Daily Guide
- Tom Glavine in Anaheim Angels
He was trying to deaden the ball, and I had thrown a changeup,Glavine said. "If it just falls right there at the plate, we've got a chance for a double play. But I screwed it up. And I know Willie [Randolph] left me just because they were...
- Johnathan Thurston in Brisbane Times
You can't give needles in the shoulders because it will just deaden your arm,said Thurston, the best player in the game. "There's nothing (strapping) there. I just do my best basically."
- Michael Vaughan in Sportinglife.co.za
We took a little bit of a punt this morning to put the heavy roller on to try to deaden it and take some of the pace out of the pitch and it seemed to work,Vaughan added. "There weren't many gremlins out there, so we could play normal...