- n a thin coat of water-base paint
- n the work of cleansing (usually with soap and water)
- n the dry bed of an intermittent stream (as at the bottom of a canyon)
- n the erosive process of washing away soil or gravel by water (as from a roadway)
from the house they watched the washout of their newly seeded lawn by the water
- n the flow of air that is driven backwards by an aircraft propeller
- n a watercolor made by applying a series of monochrome washes one over the other
- n garments or white goods that can be cleaned by laundering
- n any enterprise in which losses and gains cancel out
at the end of the year the accounting department showed that it was a wash
- v clean with some chemical process
- v cleanse (one's body) with soap and water
- v cleanse with a cleaning agent, such as soap, and water
- v move by or as if by water
The swollen river washed away the footbridge
- v be capable of being washed
Does this material wash?
- v admit to testing or proof
This silly excuse won't wash in traffic court
- v separate dirt or gravel from (precious minerals)
- v apply a thin coating of paint, metal, etc., to
- v remove by the application of water or other liquid and soap or some other cleaning agent
he washed the dirt from his coat
The nurse washed away the blood
Can you wash away the spots on the windows?
he managed to wash out the stains
- v form by erosion
The river washed a ravine into the mountainside
- v make moist
- v wash or flow against
- v to cleanse (itself or another animal) by licking
The cat washes several times a day
News & Articles
- Wash. State Gov. Inslee Signs Estate Tax Fix Into Law
OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - Gov. Jay Inslee has signed into law a legislative fix to a court ruling on the estate tax that was approved by the Legislature just hours before the state was to start issuing millions of dollars in refunds.
June 14, 2013 - KHQ Spokane
- Wash. Senate passes estate tax fix
OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) — The Senate has approved a legislative fix to a court ruling on the estate tax, just hours before the state was to start issuing millions of dollars in refunds.
June 14, 2013 - Washington Examiner
- Wash. man guilty of aggravated murder in stabbing
VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) — A Vancouver, Wash., man who stabbed his estranged girlfriend 70 times has been convicted of aggravated murder.
June 14, 2013 - KTVZ Bend
- David Letterman in USA Today
After Letterman added that McCain looked like "the guy who points out the spots they missed at the car wash," the senator appeared on stage. "You think that stuff's pretty funny, don't you?"
- Joachim Loew in Winnipeg Free Press
I am not superstitious but the coaching staff want me to wear it because we always score four goals when I wear it,Loew said Monday. "They won't let me wash it and I do think I will wear it again."
- Nicolas Sarkozy in FOXNews
We can't condemn the United States to have this camp and then simply wash our hands of the whole business when they close it down,Sarkozy said.