- n any competition
the race for the presidency
- n a contest of speed
the race is to the swift
- n people who are believed to belong to the same genetic stock
some biologists doubt that there are important genetic differences between races of human beings
- n (biology) a taxonomic group that is a division of a species; usually arises as a consequence of geographical isolation within a species
- n the flow of air that is driven backwards by an aircraft propeller
- n a canal for a current of water
- v move fast
The cars raced down the street
- v compete in a race
let's race and see who gets there first
- v to work as fast as possible towards a goal, sometimes in competition with others
- v cause to move fast or to rush or race
The psychologist raced the rats through a long maze
- The war of words about race between Clinton and Obama could cause the internal crack-up the party fears.
- In the middle 19th Century softwood clipper ships raced with light cargoes from Australia and China to Europe, riding high, running dry, sailed by full crews of crack sailors .
- One of the big tests for our nation this election will be whether we (the press, the campaigns, the voters) can handle the complex powder keg that is race in a responsible way that .
- Jimmie Johnson in Washington Post
I thought, I don't care if I win this race or not,Johnson said. "I don't care if I finish this damn thing. I'm running into him and get by him one way or another."
- Lance Armstrong in The Associated Press
As far as I can tell, neither Senator Obama nor Hillary have lost votes because of their race or gender. They are getting votes, to be sure, because of their race or gender - that's why people tell me Hillary doesn't have a chance of winning... Bill Clinton http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFQgtnAfN-Gd8ODTfDdWrRjwwjDZg Forbes http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/01/23/ap4565263.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHsSS_f5KejCUqX3ae09qn_9WtFxg Jan 23, 2008
79843 107585 race Our chances took a knock today," Armstrong said. "I'm not going home, we'll stay in the race and keep trying."