- n forceful prevention; putting down by power or authority
- v come down on or keep down by unjust use of one's authority
- v to compress with violence, out of natural shape or condition
- v come out better in a competition, race, or conflict
- v break into small pieces
- v humiliate or depress completely
- v crush or bruise
- v make ineffective
- v become injured, broken, or distorted by pressure
- s physically or spiritually devastating; often used in combination
a crushing blow
a crushing rejection
- On ABC News World News Sunday, PTI's Mark Halperin explores what McCain needs to do to win after today's twin pieces of crushing news.
- Iranian women raise their arms in protest as demonstrators burn rubbish in the streets in Tehran But the response was indeed crushing.
- The H2 was also a PR catastrophe for GM, who happened to be repossessing and crushing the few EV1 electric cars at the time.
News & Articles
- 3 men face federal drug, gun charges
Local, state and federal law enforcement agencies are teaming up to break the continuing cycle of violence, drug dealing and gang activity crushing city neighborhoods and the residents who in many cases have become hostages in the neighborhoods.
June 22, 2013 - Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
- New player at ND crushing plant
NORTHWOOD, N.D. - A Nebraska dry bean dealer who late last year purchased a defunct oilseed crushing planting in Northwood now says another party, which he declines to identify, will operate at the site.
June 21, 2013 - The Fargo Forum
- $10M worth of smuggled elephant tusks destroyed
By DJ Yap, Philippine Daily InquirerMANILA, Philippines—Environment officials on Friday led the crushing of some five tons of smuggled elephant tusks worth an estimated $10 million in a symbolic move to show the seriousness of the Philippine campaign to stop the “blood ivory” trade.“This is the first country outside of Africa to destroy its contraband ivory. Nobody else has said we’re destroyi ...
June 21, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Mitch McConnell in Financial Times
The two things that are growing fastest in this Democrat economy are the size of the federal government and the crushing burden of the national debt,said Mitch McConnell, Republican leader in the Senate. "When America truly begins creating...
- Barack Obama in International Herald Tribune
If we want to create jobs and rebuild our economy, then we must address the crushing cost of healthcare this year, in this administration,Obama said in remarks prepared for the opening of the event.
- Tim Costello in 940 News
That extraordinary volume of rain, of wave, of wind just crushing everything, snapping everything in its wake, that death toll I think could be conceivable,said Costello, of World Vision.