- v come down on or keep down by unjust use of one's authority
The government oppresses political activists
- v cause to suffer
- And yet he has found a way to think kindly of those who oppress his people and vilify his name.
- Now, with Medical Marijuana being prescribed for AIDS patients, they have added "fots" to the list of those they can joyously use the laws to oppress.
- Linney is appealing in a different way, as a woman subtly suggesting that she knows better than to act out of the social anxieties that oppress her, but having trouble fighting .
News & Articles
- Fox & Friends Hosts Savage Obama For Negotiating With Terrorist, Anti-Women Taliban
On Wednesday, The hosts of Fox & Friends attacked the White House’s plan to begin direct negotiations with the Taliban. The Fox News hosts reported that the Taliban continues to execute attacks on Americans, refuses to observe a cease fire, and oversaw a repressive government which oppressed women while they were in power. They asked why the United States would bother to “negotiate with ...
June 19, 2013 - Mediaite
- Andrew Extein, MSW: Why Queers Should Care About Sex Offenders
The same methods historically used by the government to imprison and pathologize homosexuality and gender variation are being used today to justify the extreme marginalization, lifetime institutionalization, and oppression of people who have violated sex laws.
June 8, 2013 - The Huffington Post
- Desmond Tutu in Deccan Herald
Men must teach each other that real men do not violate or oppress women and that a woman's place is not just in the home or the field, but in schools and offices and boardrooms,UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said.
- George Takei in WESH.com
Times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper, in fact, serve only to oppress,Takei wrote.
- Vice President Dick Cheney in FOXNews
In 1972, nine countries had ballistic missiles,Cheney said. "Today, it is at least 27. And that includes hostile regimes that oppress their own people, seek to intimidate and dominate their neighbors and actively support terrorist groups."