ordain : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v order by virtue of superior authority; decree
The King ordained the persecution and expulsion of the Jews
- v appoint to a clerical posts
he was ordained in the Church
- v invest with ministerial or priestly authority
The minister was ordained only last month
- v issue an order
- And although Pope John Paul II declared in 1994 that the Roman Catholic Church had no authority to ordain women, there is a small but vocal international movement pressing for it.
- If that campaign succeeds, it would defy history and political gravity, both of which ordain that midterm elections are bad news for a lame-duck President's party.
- This is not totally unexpected, since more conservative denominations do not ordain women and are exempt on First Amendment grounds from equal-opportunity laws.
News & Articles
- Local man ordained to priesthood
TOLEDO — Leonard P. Blair, bishop of the Diocese of Toledo, will ordain four men to the priesthood at Our Lady Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral, 2535 Collingwood Blvd., at 11 a.m. June 22.
June 12, 2013 - Port Clinton News Herald
- Conversation with… Rabbi Debra Cantor
Bloomfield rabbi reflects on the state of American Jewry – 25 years after being among the first group of women ordained by the Conservative movement. By Cindy Mindell BLOOMFIELD – She... Read more »
June 12, 2013 - Jewish Ledger
- Ordination Mass held for four seminarians
The Most Reverend Michael D. Pfeifer, Bishop of San Angelo, will for the first time ordain four graduating seminarians during a single Mass on June 8 at 10 a.m. at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart.
June 8, 2013 - The San Angelo Standard-Times
- Kofi Annan in USA Today
Today the rule of law is at risk around the world,Annan said. "Again and again, we see fundamental laws shamelessly disregarded - those that ordain respect for innocent life, for civilians, for the vulnerable - especially children."
- Katharine Jefferts Schori in Boston Globe (registration)
It may not happen in my lifetime, but that is all right. It will happen in God's own time. What I will say in the short run is that no one is asking any other province of the Anglican Communion to raise up gay and lesbian people and to ordain them... V Gene Robinson http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Robinson&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFTaSBZjjCiaNsxbzHG8OmV62VZyQ Foster's Daily Democrat http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FAID%3D/20051104/NEWS0201/111040023&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNG_n6loUFlUfNPN1ApJj0cEy-PdAQ Nov 4, 2005
70112 93741 ordain Obviously a handful of our church leaders are still upset and would like to see the church never ordain and never baptize a gay or lesbian person," Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said in Burlington. "We need to refocus on more...