- n a crushing remark
- n an electric circuit that cuts off a receiver when the signal becomes weaker than the noise
- v suppress or crush completely
squelch any sign of dissent
- v make a sucking sound
- v walk through mud or mire
- v to compress with violence, out of natural shape or condition
- Yet the outrage and litigation have failed to squelch Scientology.
- However, news of nuclear incidents anywhere on the planet particularly in Areva's own backyard tends to squelch the appeal of nuclear power, record oil prices or not.
- The code aimed to squelch gangs by requiring students to wear only certain clothes and solid colors.
News & Articles
- Nation + World
Did State Department squelch complaints of sexual misconduct?
June 12, 2013 - The Salt Lake Tribune
- Mike Scioscia in Kansas City Star
He used a lot early in the game to squelch some rallies,Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Saunders. "As the game went later those guys made some adjustments. Obviously they got some big hits in the sixth inning."
- Michael Wilson in The Canberra Times
Everything seemed to be going OK, but I stepped out to the side and felt a squelch, crack and a pop,Wilson, 31, said yesterday. "And after having my knee drained a number of times, training and not being able to walk for 10 days, it was...
- Don Waddell in Atlanta Journal Constitution
They've used (rubber bullets) in the past. They've also tried not to use the lethal weapons. Well, everybody says, 'Why'd you use them?' and we try to do the best we can to squelch the crowd. You know, they were very belligerent, some of those... Thomas Menino http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Menino&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEkPKXAPfcCkPRv1ibRBCAfIkPZJA Boston Channel.com http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/3839442/detail.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFa1gQmrTOXaPem-7rhm8v499xKbg Oct 21, 2004
93804 124650 squelched We all know this team is Ilya's team, and he's the face of the franchise," Waddell said. "Obviously, I'm not going to trade him. I've squelched those rumors 100 times. This puts the final straw on the camel's back."