- n forceful prevention; putting down by power or authority
the quelling of the rebellion
- v suppress or crush completely
- v overcome or allay
- A patient going into that operation is usually given a mix of painkilling narcotics and nerve-quelling tranquilizers.
- He did applaud the tentative steps that have been made in quelling the violence in Iraq and in bringing political stability to the country.
- In 1999 they appeared prominently as shock troops in quelling urban dissent after student demonstrations that initially sought greater freedom for the press.
News & Articles
- Algeria president makes first TV appearance since stroke
ALGIERS (Reuters) - Algeria's President Abdelaziz Bouteflika appeared on state television on Wednesday for the first time since he was rushed to hospital in France on April 27 after a stroke. Bouteflika, 76, had not been seen in public since. The release of the video and a photograph of the same scene appeared aimed at quelling widespread speculation about his health. The footage showed the ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Shots-fired calls increase; will Des Moines youths be safe?
So far this year, Des Moines dispatchers have received 360 calls of shots fired, up from 327 last year. More dramatic is the rise in instances when those shots hit a person, house, vehicle or other object. Between Jan. 1 and June 3, it happened 71 times - almost twice the 36 such cases in that period in 2012. Police chief among panelists to discuss reaching youth, quelling violence
June 10, 2013 - The Des Moines Register
- Chen Xitong, ex-Beijing mayor and backer of 1989 crackdown, dies
BEIJING — Chen Xitong, a former mayor of Beijing who backed the military crackdown on the Tiananmen Square democratic movement during his term but later expressed regret, died Sunday at the age of 82, two days before the 24th anniversary of the bloody quelling of the student-led movement, according to media reports and a family friend.
June 6, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Paula Dobriansky in Reuters
The United States and the international community can best help displaced Iraqis by quelling the violence in Iraq,US Under Secretary of State Paula Dobriansky said, arguing that restoring security would allow many refugees to return home.
- Eric Mangini in St. Louis Globe-Democrat
Asked if he seeks to "quell" fighting, coach Eric Mangini said, "It's not even quelling, we shut that down. We are not fighting at practice. We don't do it. We are never going to do it. I've seen too many bad things happen in that situation where...
- BN Srikrishna in Hindu
In his interim report submitted to a three-judge Bench headed by Chief Justice KG Balakrishnan, Justice Srikrishna said: "In my view, the circumstances facing the police on the fateful day without doubt justified quelling the unruly and rioting mob...