- n a structure consisting of something wound in a continuous series of loops
a coil of rope
- n a round shape formed by a series of concentric circles (as formed by leaves or flower petals)
- n a transformer that supplies high voltage to spark plugs in a gasoline engine
- n a contraceptive device placed inside a woman's womb
- n tubing that is wound in a spiral
- n reactor consisting of a spiral of insulated wire that introduces inductance into a circuit
- v to wind or move in a spiral course
the muscles and nerves of his fine drawn body were coiling for action
black smoke coiling up into the sky
- v make without a potter's wheel
- v wind around something in coils or loops
News & Articles
- Steel coil breaks loose from truck on I-20
Crews were on the scene to clean up on Wednesday morning after a steel coil fell off of a truck on Interstate 20...
June 12, 2013 - FOX 6 News Birmingham
- An Insane Person Created an 80,000 Volt Thor Hammer
Presenting your latest dose of "The Internet is Weird": using a tesla coil, foam, leather and a whole bunch of crazy, a man created a replica of Thor's hammer that generates 80,000 volts of electricity. While it's fun watching that man go all Uncle Fester with light bulbs, I have to wonder what the possible uses for that thing are — aside from potentially hacking that foam hammer into a stun gun ...
June 11, 2013 - Tucson Weekly
- Pottery for Adults - Session 1
Explore the many techniques of making pottery: pinch, slab, coil and wheel-throwing. Work step-by-step through each technique and use these skills to create a variety of functional and decorative forms. Personal project ideas are welcome. Explore the many techniques of making pottery: pinch, slab, coil and wheel-throwing. Work step-by-step through each technique and use these skills to create a ...
June 10, 2013 - WPXI Pittsburgh
- John Force in San Francisco Chronicle
You can't win without a good crew, sponsors ...... and crew chiefs like Austin Coil and Bernie Fedderly,Force said. "Five hundred races (a milestone he achieved last week in Atlanta) just means you showed up a lot. But winning 1,000...
- Jeff Green in SI.com
I guess I'm one of the older guys out here now, and the COT has a feel kind of like the cars did five or six years ago, before we got into all this coil binding stuff,Green said, referring to a trick used by crew chiefs on a car's suspension...
- Teri Garr in Baltimore Sun
She's very good in these kinds of situations,Garr said of her daughter, who's now 14. "She called 911. They rushed me to the hospital. They drilled a hole in my head and wrapped a coil around my brain so it wouldn't bleed anymore."