- n steadiness of mind under stress
- n wind moving at less than 1 knot; 0 on the Beaufort scale
- v make calm or still
- v make steady
- v become quiet or calm, especially after a state of agitation
- v cause to be calm or quiet as by administering a sedative to
- s not agitated; without losing self-possession
spoke in a calm voice
remained calm throughout the uproar
- a (of weather) free from storm or wind
- While energy drinks pick you up, an emerging beverage brand, called Drank, promises to calm you down.
- Complete calm comes from complete certainty.
- Federal Judge Harold Medina, whose silken calm has carried him successfully through weeks of shrill legal heckling, addressed himself to 16 solemn citizens of New York.
News & Articles
- When Doves Cry: Can Bernanke Calm 'Taper' Tantrum?
The market chatter over the weekend was all about Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke. More specifically, sentiment centers around one question: will Bernanke try to calm the markets and push a more dovish position on bond-buying?
June 17, 2013 - CNBC
- FOCUS: FOMC Expected To Try To Calm Markets; QE Tapering Not Expected Yet
FOCUS: FOMC Expected To Try To Calm Markets; QE Tapering Not Expected Yet
June 17, 2013 - Nasdaq
- Calm after librarian's stormy firing
Calm after librarian's stormy firing Times Union Copyright 2013 Times Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 10:09 pm, Wednesday, June 12, 2013 Calm after librarian's stormy firing The entire Round Lake Library board of directors quit on Tuesday night amid criticism over the director's decision to fire a librarian who ...
June 13, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Michelle Bachelet in The Guardian
President Bachelet said: "People should remain calm. We're doing everything we can with all the forces we have. Any information [we have] we will share immediately."
- Bastian Schweinsteiger in The Associated Press
The shootout is still in our memory, but what really weighs heavily on our minds is what happened after that match,Schweinsteiger said. "We have to remain calm and not get provoked, and I hope the referee will be very alert. You could see...
- Ehud Barak in FOXNews
There is a time for calm and there is a time for fighting, and now is the time for fighting,said Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak, vowing to expand the operation if necessary.