- n a period of calm weather
- n an untroubled state; free from disturbances
- n the absence of sound
the street was quiet
- n a disposition free from stress or emotion
- v become quiet or quieter
- v make calm or still
quiet the dragons of worry and fear
- a characterized by an absence or near absence of agitation or activity
a quiet life
a quiet throng of onlookers
quiet peace-loving people
the factions remained quiet for almost 10 years
- a free of noise or uproar; or making little if any sound
a quiet audience at the concert
the room was dark and quiet
- s not showy or obtrusive
clothes in quiet good taste
- s in a softened tone
a quiet reprimand
- s (of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves
the quiet waters of a lagoon
- a of the sun characterized by a low level of surface phenomena like sunspots e.g.
- r with little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly')
her hands rested quietly in her lap
the rock star was quietly led out the back door
sit here as quiet as you can
- Decade ago Manhattan Publicity Counselor Harry Bruno attended an airmen's wine dine shindig, cracked that he thought fliers were strong, silent, quiet birdmen.
- In full-page newspaper ads last week, another publisher clamorously announced a deal quietly swung four months ago.
News & Articles
- DRIFTWOOD OUTDOORS: Quest for quiet
Silence is part of the essence of bowhunting. As long as I have been shooting a bow, which is pushing 25 years now, the quest for quiet has raged.
June 16, 2013 - Jefferson City News Tribune
- VOLTA9: Quiet halls, but strong sales speak volumes
A VOLTA9 VIP interacts with Satoru Tamura's Point of contact machines (TEZUKAYAMA GALLERY, Osaka). BASEL .- A steady flow of serious buyers to Dreispitzhalle all week long signaled sustained sales for VOLTA9 , despite the overall quieter collector climate in Basel this year.
June 16, 2013 - Art Daily
- Warm, quiet evening ahead on Treasure Coast
This evening remains quiet with low rain chances and warm temperatures in the 70s.
June 13, 2013 - Indian River Press Journal
- President Bush in New Zealand Herald
President Ford was a great American who gave many years of dedicated service to our country,President George W. Bush said in a statement from Crawford, Texas. "With his quiet integrity, common sense, and kind instincts, President Ford...
- Barack Obama in Washington Post
And Obama told us, straight out, the ends toward which he was conscripting the old virtues: "They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history."
- Prince Charles in Sky News
Charles said: "I feel particular frustration that he was removed unexpectedly early because apart from anything else, he had been looking forward to coming back with the rest of his regiment. It's been quite difficult also having to keep quiet about...