sound : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the particular auditory effect produced by a given cause
the sound of rain on the roof
the beautiful sound of music
- n the subjective sensation of hearing something
he strained to hear the faint sounds
- n mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium
falling trees make a sound in the forest even when no one is there to hear them
- n the sudden occurrence of an audible event
the sound awakened them
- n the audible part of a transmitted signal
- n (phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
- n a narrow channel of the sea joining two larger bodies of water
- n a large ocean inlet or deep bay
the main body of the sound ran parallel to the coast
- v appear in a certain way
This sounds interesting
- v make a certain noise or sound
- v give off a certain sound or sounds
This record sounds scratchy
- v announce by means of a sound
sound the alarm
- v utter with vibrating vocal chords
- v cause to sound
sound the bell
sound a certain note
- v measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
- a financially secure and safe
a sound economy
- s exercising or showing good judgment
a sound approach to the problem
no sound explanation for his decision
- a in good condition; free from defect or damage or decay
a sound timber
the wall is sound
a sound foundation
- s in excellent physical condition
a sound mind in a sound body
- s logically valid
a sound argument
- s having legal efficacy or force
a sound title to the property
- s free from moral defect
a man of sound character
- s (of sleep) deep and complete
a sound sleeper
- s thorough
a sound thrashing
- Experimenting with how sound affects taste, chef Heston Blumenthal found that playing a recording of breaking waves makes an oyster taste 30% saltier than the same food eaten to .
- It took three radio sound men, a control-room engineer and five hours of hard work to create the sound that was heard for less than 30 seconds on the air.
- Moreover, in pseudo stereo "you can spread the sound around the room, but there is no way to get the feeling, as in true stereo, of the proper positioning of the individual .
News & Articles
- Sound Shore lacrosse: Lurkers edge Lax.com 4-3; Dirty Dawgs prevail 10-9; more games ...
Aftergaels 12, Indians 3: In a Sound Shore League Adult Division 3 game Monday, Nick Trizano scored three goals for Aftergaels. Teammate Steve Banalli made eight saves. James Sabo scored all three goals for the Indians.
June 12, 2013 - The Journal News
- Maximum Sound & Security offers a little bit of everything
SOUTHINGTON — Maximum Sound & Security can provide customers with everything from a system to lock down a building and issue a list of those inside to a way to shut off lights, turn down the heat and let delivery men or contractors into a house from 3,000 miles away.
June 12, 2013 - The New Britain Herald
- Sound-Eklin Launches Veterinary Ultrasound Education Portal
Sound-Eklin the Global Veterinary Imaging Leader is pleased to announce the Veterinary Ultrasound Education Portal. Lack of education and confidence result in underutilized ultrasound machines. (PRWeb June 11, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/6/prweb10810153.htm
June 11, 2013 - PRWeb
- Barack Obama in CBS News
It also makes it difficult for illegal immigrants to report crimes, and the president said, has the "potential of violating the rights of innocent American citizens and legal residents because of what they look like or how they sound."
- Joe Lieberman in AFP
When others were silent, John McCain had the judgment to sound the alarm about the mistakes we were making in Iraq,said Lieberman, lauding McCain for being an early advocate of the troop surge. "When others wanted to retreat in defeat from...
- President Bush in Irish Times
I'd be glad to help him if he's the nominee - he is very strong on national defence, he is tough fiscally, he is pro-life. His principles are sound and solid,Mr Bush said.