- a showing intellectual penetration or emotional depth
the differences are profound
a profound insight
a profound book
a profound mind
- s of the greatest intensity; complete
a profound silence
a state of profound shock
- s far-reaching and thoroughgoing in effect especially on the nature of something
profound social changes
- s coming from deep within one
a profound sigh
- s (of sleep) deep and complete
fell into a profound sleep
- s situated at or extending to great depth; too deep to have been sounded or plumbed
the profound depths of the sea
- He was the most profound dramatist of his time and his style and substance are copied even today.
- It is with profound sorrow that the Company announced the shutting down of the manufacturing unit.
- The profound impact the recession has had on ordinary citizens is deep and humbling
News & Articles
- Dads deserve good wishes
Happy Father's Day to all the dads in the region. No matter what your age, if you had a good relationship with your father, he's never far from mind. Our dad, the late John J. Mead Jr., had a profound effect on our life. We're sure many fathers will be treated well today, and they deserve it. ...
June 16, 2013 - Erie Times-News
- Locals recall advice from 'dear ol' dad'
This Father's Day, The Herald Bulletin asked some locals for the best advice they ever got from dear old dad — something profound, poignant, or even a little funny. Here's what they said.
June 16, 2013 - The Herald Bulletin
- Early Buzz: ‘White House Down’ Delivers Silly Summer Fun
Much as we appreciate big-budget blockbusters that aim to be deep or emotional or to impart profound life lessons, there comes a point in every summer when all we want to do is enjoy some expensive, well crafted mayhem. Arriving just in time for that moment this year is Roland Emmerich‘s White House Down. The [...]
June 14, 2013 - /Film
- Kevin Rudd in Keilor, Taylors Lakes, Sydenham Star
We apologise for the laws and policies of successive parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians,Mr Rudd said. "We apologise especially for the removal of Aboriginal...
- Abraham Foxman in Vancouver Sun
Her suggestion that Israelis should go back to Poland and Germany is bigoted and shows a profound ignorance of history,Foxman said.
- Barack Obama in BusinessWeek
He had the courage to stand firm in his principles, but also the courage to change over time,Obama said in a statement. "His profound passion for that body and its role and responsibilities was as evident behind closed doors as it was in...