hushed : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v become quiet or still; fall silent
- v cause to be quiet or not talk
- v become quiet or quieter
- v wash by removing particles
- v run water over the ground to erode (soil), revealing the underlying strata and valuable minerals
- s in a softened tone
- hushed on the stump hillary campaigns without press or tv sound bites, but the whitewater issue follows her anyway.
- It's not easy to get into the hula spirit in a hushed conference room in a restricted area of the gleaming white global headquarters of Nintendo, with several high-ranking .
- After two days of lying about it, Ohio Democrat Wayne Hays stood in an unusually hushed House chamber and admitted that he had carried on an affair with Elizabeth Ray, 33, whom .
News & Articles
- Lessons from Legends: Transformation and Michael Phelps
It’s quiet now. But even in silence the transformation continues. This spring night, and this post Olympic year, sound is hushed. With the passing of a quadrennial and the beginning of a new one, the thunder of Michael Phelps' swimming career has subsided.
June 7, 2013 - USA Swimming
- Weekend Poll: Thinsperational or Ugly?
A wave-themed banner goes up at Moscone West . It joins the iOS 7 banner revealed earlier today . Beautiful? Or a horrifying glimpse of art over usability? Some are saying it means OS X will be Sea Lion. Some are saying it's just a wave. Others are speaking in hushed riddles... What does it mean? We set up a poll below so you can tell us what you think it means. Of course we'll know by next ...
June 7, 2013 - The Unofficial Apple Weblog
- Social media helps patients, families share their news
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. "' Medical updates are no longer hushed discussions held behind closed doors. They're going viral. And they're increasingly being shared with family, friends and, sometimes, digital strangers.
June 6, 2013 - The Standard-Times
- President Bush in Voice of America
Cuba will not be a land of liberty so long as free expression is punished and free speech can take place only in hushed whispers and silent prayers,Mr. Bush said. "And Cuba will not become a place of prosperity just by easing restrictions...
- Chris Cannon in FOXNews
Rep. Chris Cannon, R-Utah, said the investigation, in its sixth month, had increasingly begun to focus on "hushed anticipation about who will throw whom under the proverbial bus" and urged Democrats to wrap up their inquiry.
- Dwyane Wade in International Herald Tribune
The Olympics just hushed people,Wade said ahead of Sunday's preseason game against the New Jersey Nets in London. "It just quieted them down for a little while. It didn't shut anyone up."