- n sitting on eggs so as to hatch them by the warmth of the body
- n persistent morbid meditation on a problem
- v think moodily or anxiously about something
- v hang over, as of something threatening, dark, or menacing
- v be in a huff and display one's displeasure
- v be in a huff; be silent or sullen
- v sit on (eggs)
- s deeply or seriously thoughtful;
Byron lives on not only in his poetry, but also in his creation of the 'Byronic hero' - the persona of a brooding melancholy young man
- Since the release of his debut album, Jay, in November 200010 brooding, soulful, surprisingly sensual ballads and quiet pop tunes delivered with a poise that would make Craig .
- Back in the mid-1990s, when he was new labour's brooding, intellectual heavyweight, I was a lone parent struggling to get by.
- The newest romantic hero is dark, brooding and tortured.
News & Articles
- Wine Rack: Four sparklers for your summer table
There's nothing dark and brooding about a summer picnic, so leave the Barolo at home and break out the bubbles like a kid with his Miracle Wand.
June 13, 2013 - The Record
- Zac Snyder's leaden 'Man of Steel' doesn't soar
Henry Cavill's performance is less memorable for his introspective brooding than for his six-pack (a fetish for Zac Snyder, the director of '300'). He's handsome and capable, but one can't help missing Christopher Reeve's twinkle.
June 11, 2013 - Asbury Park Press
- Male Gaze: Marni’s Brooding Man for a Gloomy Day
If pallid, brooding, skinny men make your pulse race, we've found the man that will sweep you off your feet in this inclement weather. The Cut received the giant tome that is Marni Uomo's men's autumn-winter 2013–2014 look book, stuffed entirely with photos, portraits, up-close shots, and black-and-white photo-booth-like series ... More »
June 10, 2013 - New York Magazine
- Boris Johnson in The Voice
In an article for the London Evening Standard, Boris wrote: "I have found myself brooding - like all paranoid politicians - on the negative voices, the people who say that the great King Newt is too dug in, that his positions are impregnable, his...
- Robert Pattinson in Kansas City Star
They make me miserable as soon as I put them in. That's what creates the pouting and brooding character,Pattinson says.
- Scott McClellan in New York Times
No matter what went wrong, she was somehow able to keep her hands clean,Mr. McClellan writes, adding that "she knew how to adapt to potential trouble, dismiss brooding problems, and come out looking like a star."