- v keep or maintain in unaltered condition; cause to remain or last
- v stand up for; stick up for; of causes, principles, or ideals
- v support against an opponent
- It was from Romans 13 that he'd first read to her how God gave the authority to rulers of the land to uphold their laws, for governments to carry out his will against the evil of .
- The couple had already been married in a 1993 civil ceremony, but needed the Roma Rota appeals tribunal at the Vatican to uphold the Massachusetts annulment verdict before they .
- Members of that board in particular, which is charged with protecting civil rights, felt torn about promising to uphold laws they felt were discriminatory.
News & Articles
- Seekonk board upholds vote
SEEKONK - The planning board voted 5-2 Tuesday to uphold its earlier vote to approve the proposed nine-lot Pine Hill Estates subdivision.
June 12, 2013 - The Sun Chronicle
- Pence urges lawmakers to uphold tax bill veto
Pence sent a letter to legislators urging them to uphold his veto of a local tax measure. The measure retroactively approves taxes collected by Jackson and Pulaski counties to pay for new jails.
June 11, 2013 - Indianapolis Business Journal
- Flag Day honors national symbol Friday
Flag Day celebrations continue to uphold a tradition of remembrance and honor which started more than two centuries ago with the adoption of the stars and stripes as a national symbol of the United States.
June 11, 2013 - Branson Tri-Lakes News
- Vice President Dick Cheney in International Herald Tribune
America will do its duty to work with the governments of Georgia and our other friends and allies to protect our common interests and to uphold our values,Cheney said in the joint appearance with Saakashvili.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger in AFP
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican who has previously vetoed attempts by lawmakers to legalize gay marriage, said he respected the court ruling and vowed to "uphold its ruling." "Also, as I have said in the past, I will...
- Dennis Prager in Washington Post
In his column last week, Prager wrote: "Insofar as a member of Congress taking an oath to serve America and uphold its values is concerned, America is interested in only one book, the Bible. If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't...