- v know and comprehend the nature or meaning of
- v perceive (an idea or situation) mentally
- v make sense of a language
- v believe to be the case
- v be understanding of
- a fully apprehended as to purport or meaning or explanation
the understood conditions of troop withdrawal were clear
- s implied by or inferred from actions or statements
the understood provisos of a custody agreement
- Though they understood violence and the attacks on civilians, they also understood what it felt like to see their buddies killed -- and to kill in return.
- Bush never understood, or cared about, the delicate balance between freedom and regulation that was necessary to make markets work.
- But when Rickey read to him from The Life of Christ, Jackie understood the wisdom and the necessity of forbearance.
News & Articles
- Getting HR Back into the People Business
When I started in HR, it was understood that you were going to work with people. You expected to get good at calming angry people down, listening to them share their problems, and untangling thorny interpersonal issues. That sort of thing went with the territory in the quaint 1980s.
June 15, 2013 - BusinessWeek
- Jesus movement cut across all political mandates
Will Campbell understood why Jesus never left an owner's manual for running a congregation or changing society.
June 15, 2013 - The Tennessean
- New Book Shows How Our Fixation On Neuroscience Is Making Us Crazy
Brain scans are incredibly cool looking. They show slices of the most compelling, least understood human organ, transforming dull grey snakes of tissue into brightly colored panels that seem to hold the key to understanding all sorts of behavior, from sexual attraction to criminal intent to consumers’ compulsions. An array of professionals, from addiction counselors to marketers, have been ...
June 14, 2013 - Forbes
- Barack Obama in Dallas Morning News
Recall that earlier generations faced down fascism and communism not just with missiles and tanks, but with sturdy alliances and enduring convictions,Obama said in his address. "They understood that our power alone cannot protect us, nor...
- David Obey in BusinessWeek
Murtha "understood the misery of war," Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey, a Wisconsin Democrat, said in a statement. "Every person who serves in the military has lost an advocate and a good friend today."
- Elton John in AFP
I think Jesus was a compassionate, super-intelligent gay man who understood human problems,John said in an interview posted on the website of US celebrity news magazine Parade.