- s marked by absence of sound
a silent house
- s failing to speak or communicate etc when expected to
the witness remained silent
- s implied by or inferred from actions or statements
gave silent consent
- s not made to sound
the silent `h' at the beginning of `honor'
- s having a frequency below or above the range of human audibility
a silent dog whistle
- s unable to speak because of hereditary deafness
- While the Republicans wrestle with what to do about their fallen colleague, the Dems' Presidential hopefuls are staying strangely, cagily silent.
- The Senate was silent because Senators don't feel that what they say on the floor of the Senate really matters that much anymorenot to the other Senators, who are almost never .
- I've been silent long enough.
- Joe Lieberman in AFP
When others were silent, John McCain had the judgment to sound the alarm about the mistakes we were making in Iraq,said Lieberman, lauding McCain for being an early advocate of the troop surge. "When others wanted to retreat in defeat from...
- Diana Ross in Melbourne Herald Sun
Ross said in her message that she was not attending the service because she had "decided to pause and be silent". "This feels right for me. Michael was a personal love of mine, a treasured part of my world, part of the fabric of my life....
- Roman Polanski in Variety
I can no longer remain silent because the United States continues to demand my extradition more to serve me on a platter to the media of the world than to pronounce a judgment concerning which an agreement was reached 33 years ago,Polanski...