- v lengthen or extend in duration or space
We sustained the diplomatic negotiations as long as possible
- v undergo (as of injuries and illnesses)
- v provide with nourishment
We sustained ourselves on bread and water
- v supply with necessities and support
She alone sustained her family
- v be the physical support of; carry the weight of
- v admit as valid
The court sustained the motion
- v establish or strengthen as with new evidence or facts
- s maintained at length without interruption or weakening
- s (of an electric arc) continuous
- The absence of a sustained narrative and the mixed-up chronology demand a slow, close reading.
- The happy sound could never be confused with a real gun-battle: few gun-battles, even in Iraq, are that fierce and sustained.
- The Barbary States of North Africa--Algiers, Tunis, Morocco and Tripoli (today's Libya)--had for centuries sustained themselves by preying on the maritime commerce of others.
News & Articles
- Treasury warns of low-rate risk for insurers
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - A sustained low interest rate environment may damage the profitability of insurance companies, according to the first annual report on the industry released by the Treasury Department Wednesday. In 2012, interest rates stabilized so insurers' financial results were less impacted by reserve increases than in 2011, the report found. The report said that catastrophe ...
June 12, 2013 - Market Watch
- Cricket-Australian Warner dropped after bar incident
* Opener dropped after physical altercation with England player * ECB says Warner has apologised * Root sustained no injuries, says England captain (Adds Alastair Cook and bar manager quotes) June 12 (Reuters) - Australia batsman David Warner has been dropped from the team's Champions Trophy match against New Zealand following an alleged physical altercation with an England player, Cricket ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Jon Rubinstein: Hewlett Packard's purchase of Palm was a waste
Finally, Jon Rubinstein is ready to re-open the wounds sustained from HP's bungled acquisition of Palm . When Fierce Wireless asked the former CEO what he'd do differently, he said that selling the company to Hewlett Packard was "a waste," and that he probably wouldn't do the same again. He also revealed that the company's awkward exclusive relationship with Sprint was caused by last-minute ...
June 12, 2013 - Engadget
- Barack Obama in American Muslim
Obama noted that "the interests we share as human beings are far more powerful than the forces that drive us apart", and added that "there must be a sustained effort to listen to each other, to learn from each other, to respect one another...
- David Petraeus in New York Times
We are committed to a sustained effort to help the people of this country over the long term,the general said. "Neither you nor the insurgents nor our partners in the region should doubt that."