strained : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v to exert much effort or energy
- v test the limits of
- v use to the utmost; exert vigorously or to full capacity
- v separate by passing through a sieve or other straining device to separate out coarser elements
- v cause to be tense and uneasy or nervous or anxious
- v become stretched or tense or taut
"the rope strained when the weight was attached
- v remove by passing through a filter
- v rub through a strainer or process in an electric blender
- v alter the shape of (something) by stress
- s lacking natural ease
- s showing signs of mental and emotional tension
her voice was strained as she asked the question
- s lacking spontaneity; not natural
a constrained smile
a strained smile
- s struggling for effect
- He strained to defend his positions on health care and taxes and failed to express a fully formed alternative explanation.
- Spoiler alert: Shinseki ended up being right, but his public dissent of the Administration's estimate irreparably strained his relationship with his superiors.
- Constant travel to rally support for his Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), along with his frequent affairs on the road, strained King's marriage.
News & Articles
- Spurs' Parker: Iffy hamstring can 'tear any time'
SAN ANTONIO — Tony Parker’s strained right hamstring is progressing well, but the All-Star Spurs guard said Saturday that playing through the pain bears a risk of re-injury that would see him sidelined if the stakes weren’t so high.
June 16, 2013 - Sports Illustrated
- Tony Parker says his strained hamstring ‘can tear at anytime’ in advance of Game 5
SAN ANTONIO — Tony Parker said that he was feeling no additional pain in his strained hamstring the day after his Spurs suffered a Game 4 loss, but that doesn’t mean that he’s entirely healed. After practice on Saturday at the AT&T Center, Parker gave us an idea of just how tenuous the situation is.…
June 15, 2013 - NBC Sports: ProBasketballTalk
- Strained shoulder forces Dodgers' Yasiel Puig to sit out
Outfielder is scratched from the lineup, the apparent first casualty of the brawl between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks on Tuesday night. He is listed as day to day. Outfielder Yasiel Puig was scratched from the lineup Wednesday with what the Dodgers described as a strained right shoulder, becoming the first casualty of the brawl involving the Arizona Diamondbacks on Tuesday night.
June 13, 2013 - Los Angeles Times
- Barack Obama in New York Times
Promising to also be president for those who opposed him, Obama quoted Lincoln, his political idol and the man who ended slavery: "We are not enemies, but friends - though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection."
- Henry Paulson in Washington Post
US and global financial markets continue to be severely strained,Paulson said at the briefing called to preview the upcoming weekend meetings of finance officials of the Group of Seven major industrial countries and the 185-nation...
- John Driscoll in Inside Bay Area
War changes people,says John Driscoll, vice president for operations and programs at the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans. "Your trust in people is strained. You've been separated from loved ones and friends. The camaraderie...