- n the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch)
he put the stress on the wrong syllable
- n (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense
stress is a vasoconstrictor
- n special emphasis attached to something
the stress was more on accuracy than on speed
- n difficulty that causes worry or emotional tension
she endured the stresses and strains of life
he presided over the economy during the period of the greatest stress and danger"- R.J.Samuelson
- n (physics) force that produces strain on a physical body
the intensity of stress is expressed in units of force divided by units of area
- v to stress, single out as important
- v put stress on; utter with an accent
- v test the limits of
- And researchers have long suspected that stress harms the body.
- Photo-illustration by Lon Tweeten for PTI In early February, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, as part of his bank fix, said he will "stress-test" the nation's largest .
- Here's a chance to help scientists uncover the roots of stress.
News & Articles
- Pent-Up Stress Could Harm Health of Middle-Aged Women
Title: Pent-Up Stress Could Harm Health of Middle-Aged Women Category: Health News Created: 6/7/2013 4:36:00 PM Last Editorial Review: 6/10/2013 12:00:00 AM
June 11, 2013 - MedicineNet.com
- Posttraumatic stress disorder treatment: Genetic predictor of response to exposure therapy
There is growing evidence that a gene variant that reduces the plasticity of the nervous system also modulates responses to treatments for mood and anxiety disorders. In this case, patients with posttraumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, with a less functional variant of the gene coding for brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), responded less well to exposure therapy.
June 11, 2013 - Science Daily
- When Stress Is Good For Us
We hear a lot about the downsides of stress. Too much of it can impair thinking, harm our health and, more prosaically, put us in a bad mood.
June 10, 2013 - Business Insider
- Sarah Ferguson in Vancouver Sun
I very deeply regret the situation and the embarrassment caused,Ferguson said in a statement. "It is true that my financial situation is under stress. However, that is no excuse for a serious lapse in judgment and I am very sorry that this...
- Ben Bernanke in Reuters
Despite the efforts of the Federal Reserve, the Treasury, and other agencies, global financial markets remain under extraordinary stress,Bernanke said in remarks prepared for delivery to the Senate Banking Committee that were obtained by Reuters.
- Kiefer Sutherland in National Post
I'm very disappointed in myself for the poor judgment I exhibited recently, and I'm deeply sorry for the disappointment and stress this has caused my family, friends and coworkers on 24 and at 20th Century Fox,Mr. Sutherland said in a...