- n distinctive manner of oral expression
he couldn't suppress his contemptuous accent
- n special importance or significance
the room was decorated in shades of grey with distinctive red accents
- n the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people
he has a strong German accent
- n the relative prominence of a syllable or musical note (especially with regard to stress or pitch)
- n a diacritical mark used to indicate stress or placed above a vowel to indicate a special pronunciation
- v to stress, single out as important
- v put stress on; utter with an accent
In Farsi, you accent the last syllable of each word
- She told me I didn't only have a French accent but I had a Cuban accent too.
- I had a Russian accent.
- Yes, in those days, even the Prophet Muhammad had a British accent.
News & Articles
- Downturn challenges Poland's tea-drinking fiscal hawk
By Christian Lowe and Karolina Slowikowska WARSAW (Reuters) - With his fondness for tea in china cups and upper-class English accent, British-born Jacek Rostowski projects an air of cultivated calm, but the economic slowdown has put his job as Poland's finance minister in the balance. Rostowski, an admirer of ex-British leader Margaret Thatcher, has overseen one of Europe's few economic success ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Asian Accent highlights very Happy Hour at new Uptown area in University Circle
So many places trot out words like "innovative." The recently opened Accent in the Uptown area does it, too. But the pan-Asian eatery lives up to the claim.
June 12, 2013 - The Cleveland Plain Dealer
- Quirks in 'Utah accent' apparent in new study
A new study highlights the differences between dialects throughout the United States, and offers insight into Utah's own unique accent.
June 10, 2013 - KSL Salt Lake City
- Joe Biden in New York Times
Six months earlier in New Hampshire, Mr. Biden said that "you cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent."
- Susan Lucci in International Herald Tribune
I'm sure Eileen is lighting up the sky's in heaven with her flaming red hair and lovely Scottish accent,Lucci said. "The earth's loss is heaven's gain!"
- Colin Farrell in Guardian Unlimited
Academy Awards producer Gil Cates chatted with the two Dubliners, and Farrell joked that he would "do some accent work tonight" so his Irish lilt would be show-ready.