- n a manner of speaking that is natural to native speakers of a language
- n the usage or vocabulary that is characteristic of a specific group of people
- n the style of a particular artist or school or movement
an imaginative orchestral idiom
- n an expression whose meanings cannot be inferred from the meanings of the words that make it up
- It has been the diversion of certain modernist critics to write about music in terms of color, painting in the idiom of sound.
- The term itself can be merely descriptive or mildly offensive, depending on the user and the hearer; at any rate, it has become part of the American idiom.
- Airing three times a week, it spawned idioms ("Don't blow your jets!") and dozens of Tom Corbett products.
News & Articles
- Antioch school library tech named district's Classified Employee of the Year
ANTIOCH -- "Read her like a book." The idiom, with a slight pun intended, actually seems to suit Yvonne Lackey. Her passion for reading and all things bookish is clear -- making her a lovely fit for her role as library media tech at Antioch's Jack London Elementary.
June 14, 2013 - Lamorinda Sun
- WYRK Taste of Country comes to Coca-Cola Field on Friday
Each year, the WYRK Taste of Country festival does big business, bringing some of the idiom’s biggest stars together for a mini-festival. The Taste of Country gig always seems to be a sellout, and part of the reason for its success comes down to the diversity of the lineup.
June 13, 2013 - The Buffalo News
- Justin Bieber Romance Rumors Shut Down By Miley Cyrus
Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus are not getting biblical, hooking up, or any other kind of idiom for having sex, so says the lady herself. The “We Can’t Stop” songstress effortlessly shut down rumors that sparked after TMZ claimed sources saw the pair “hardcore flirting” at Beacher’s Madhouse at the Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles [...] Justin Bieber Romance Rumors Shut Down By Miley Cyrus is a ...
June 13, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- Juan Cole in CounterCurrents.org
In the New York Times of June 11th, 2006 Juan Cole, a Middle East specialist at the University of Michigan, stated that "Ahmadinejad did not say he was going to wipe Israel off the map, because no such idiom exists in Persian. He did say he hoped...
- Colin Meloy in Billboard
I like to think of it as a play through voices-something that you would sit and listen to,Meloy explains. "If you're going to attach 'opera' to it, then it's more of a 'folk opera'-from the folk idiom. But then you get in trouble with the...
- Andrew Motion in BBC News
Actors may, or may not, read poems well, but poets have unique rights to their work, and unique insights and interests to offer as we hear their idiom, pacing, tone and emphases,said Mr Motion. "They all, in their different ways, validate...