- n (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense
he suffered from fatigue and emotional tension
- n the physical condition of being stretched or strained
it places great tension on the leg muscles
- n a balance between and interplay of opposing elements or tendencies (especially in art or literature)
there is a tension created between narrative time and movie time
there is a tension between these approaches to understanding history
- n (physics) a stress that produces an elongation of an elastic physical body
the direction of maximum tension moves asymptotically toward the direction of the shear
- n feelings of hostility that are not manifest
the diplomats' first concern was to reduce international tensions
- n the action of stretching something tight
tension holds the belt in the pulleys
- The jumpy island of Cyprus, where Turkish and Greek Cypriots have been savaging each other for the past fortnight, last week showed a faint relaxation of tension.
- Far from helping ease the tension, politicians have sought to exploit it.
- Since war started the chief city of the border state of Missouri has had small incidents and tall talk of racial tension but no real race troubleuntil last week.
News & Articles
- Tension high as ESPN workers await layoff word
BRISTOL — Tension is high today at ESPN as employees wait for word on what exactly a morning email from the company’s president warning of more cuts might mean for them.
June 12, 2013 - The New Britain Herald
- Nine Inch Nails Presale: NIN Tickets And 2013 Tension Tour Dates Available Online Today At TicketProcess.com
Nine Inch Nails 2013 Tension Tour dates and ticket information are available today at popular online ticket exchange TicketProcess.com. (PRWeb June 12, 2013) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/nine-inch-nails-presale/nine-inch-nails-tickets/prweb10826042.htm
June 12, 2013 - PRWeb
- Egypt's Nile crisis and the Dam Busters
CAIRO, June 11 (UPI) -- Tension between Egypt and Ethiopia has risen sharply after Egyptian Prime Minister Hisham Qandil warned Addis Ababa not to build a massive dam on the Blue Nile he says will reduce the amount of water Egypt gets from the Nile.
June 11, 2013 - UPI
- Phil Jackson in ESPN
It's a really high-tension situation,said Jackson. "Players have come down to putting a lot on the line at this particular point. A lot of times it's not about the coaching at that point. They've already got it in them. It's about who...
- Kim Jong Il in International Herald Tribune
Kim told Wang that Pyongyang is "dedicated to the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula and hoped to peacefully coexist with all sides and would not like to see tension in the peninsula," China's official Xinhua news agency said.
- Ryan Crocker in 940 News
...include the return of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who have fled to Jordan, Syria and beyond, a repatriation which Crocker said must be handled carefully "so it doesn't sow the seeds of new tension and instability."