filter : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n device that removes something from whatever passes through it
- n an electrical device that alters the frequency spectrum of signals passing through it
- v remove by passing through a filter
filter out the impurities
- v pass through
- v run or flow slowly, as in drops or in an unsteady stream
- Just eight months after proudly announcing its support of the Strickman cigarette filterfor which it received a major financial interest in returnColumbia University last .
- When heavy cigarette smoking was first indicted as the major cause of the radical increase in lung cancer, scarcely more than 1% of cigarettes had filter tips.
- Do cigarette filters cut down on the tar and nicotine that have helped to earn tobacco its unpleasant reputation as a cause of lung cancer, heart disease and assorted other ills?.
News & Articles
- Oil filter issue prompts United Airlines 787 flying from Denver to Tokyo to divert to Seattle
SEATTLE — United Airlines says an oil filter issue has prompted the crew of a Boeing 787 flying from Denver to Tokyo to divert to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.
June 19, 2013 - Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune
- Possible oil filter issue diverts United Dreamliner
A United Airlines 787 Dreaminer headed to Tokyo from Denver was diverted to Seattle after an indication that there was a problem with an oil filter in one of the engines, United said Tuesday night.
June 19, 2013 - Chicago Tribune
- Oil filter problem forces 787 to land
Passengers from a United Airlines 787 Dreamliner that made an unscheduled landing in Seattle were expected to resume their journey to Japan on Wednesday morning. Flight 139 from Denver to Tokyo was diverted to Seattle on Tuesday afternoon "due to an indication of a problem with an oil filter," United said in a statement to CNN. The aircraft landed normally, said spokeswoman Mary Ryan. The plane ...
June 19, 2013 - KSAT San Antonio
- Sarah Palin in AFP
I like being able to answer these tough questions without the filter, even, of the mainstream media kind of telling viewers what they've just heard,Palin, a 44-year-old mother of five, said.
- John Palfrey in Forbes
I think they have a right to (filter), but I come up short of saying they have the responsibility,Palfrey said. "I'd rather have the responsibility in the hands of passengers and require them to be accountable for what they do on laptops...