- n a grammatical category of verbs used to express distinctions of time
- v become stretched or tense or taut
the bodybuilder's neck muscles tensed
- v increase the tension on
alternately relax and tense your calf muscle
tense the rope manually before tensing the spring
- v become tense, nervous, or uneasy
He tensed up when he saw his opponent enter the room
- v cause to be tense and uneasy or nervous or anxious
he got a phone call from his lawyer that tensed him up
- a in or of a state of physical or nervous tension
- a pronounced with relatively tense tongue muscles (e.g., the vowel sound in `beat')
- a taut or rigid; stretched tight
tense piano strings
- The far western Chinese province of Xinjiang is a tense place at the best of times.
- Even without the vibration, you would involuntarily tense and release just to hold the pose.
- Giuliani, in Florida concession speech, talked about his effort in the past tense, but said nothing explicit about dropping out -- or The Deal.
News & Articles
- Attempted traffic stop leads to arrests
There were some tense moments after an attempted traffic stop Tuesday afternoon in Sheboygan.
June 11, 2013 - FOX 11 Green Bay
- Another killing makes life in OTR tense
Over-the-Rhine was tense Monday morning. Cincinnati police converged on a man just a block from where Antonio Wright was shot in the head the day before.
June 10, 2013 - WCPO Cincinnati
- Bank of America’s Laughlin Says Accord Talks Were Tense
Negotiations that led to an $8.5 billion mortgage-bond settlement between Bank of America Corp. and institutional investors were tense and combative, the bank’s chief risk officer testified.
June 10, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Joachim Loew in The Canadian Press
It was a tense game. We could have made more out of our opportunities,Germany coach Joachim Loew said. "We were not very precise up front. But I can't blame my young players, there was a lot of pressure, we had to win. And now we are...
- Alberto Contador in New York Times
The days in the hotel were harder than those on the road,he said then. "The situation was tense and delicate because the relationship between myself and Lance extended to the rest of the staff."
- Bert van Marwijk in New Straits Times
I have been thinking of this game for a long time, because it is always a tough match and it is so important to get off to a good start,said the 58-year-old. "The players were a little tense and we were frustrated in the first half, we...