- v cause to feel resentment or indignation
Her tactless remark offended me
- v act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises
- v strike with disgust or revulsion
- v hurt the feelings of
- s hurt or upset
she looked offended
- He does offend some people's sensibilities, but the youth of today are offended if they're not offended.
- Theo van Gogh, a Dutch filmmaker who offended strict Muslims, was killed thereafter.
- We generally think that having more access is better, as long as you're not a child or overly offended.
News & Articles
- How to be sorry: a guide for famous wrong people
Williams, professional that she is, opted for an unsatisfying gloss on the popular "if anyone was offended, I would certainly be sorry for them that they were offended" sports-pology, then threw some passive-voice topspin on it by not quite acknowledging that she said what she said.
June 21, 2013 - Philly.com
- Kickstarter apologizes for not canceling 'seduction guide' promoting rape
The posts offended a lot of people -- us included -- and many asked us to cancel the creator's project. We didn't,Kickstarter writes in an apology titled "We Were Wrong" about a project called "Above The Game: A Guide to Getting Awesome with Women."
June 21, 2013 - Zap2It
- Fired radio host: I would have been offended
By GABRIELLE LEVY, UPI.com Steak Shapiro, one of the radio hosts fired after joking about NFLer Steve Gleason's ALS, said he would have been offended if he had heard the skit on the radio.
June 19, 2013 - UPI
- Van Jones in AFP
If I have offended anyone with statements I made in the past, I apologize,said Jones, who works in Obama's Council on Environmental Quality, which pushes the United States toward clean energy policies.
- Rupert Murdoch in guardian.co.uk
As the chairman of the New York Post, I am ultimately responsible for what is printed in its pages. The buck stops with me,added Murdoch. "Last week, we made a mistake. We ran a cartoon that offended many people. Today I want to personally...
- Bob McDonnell in CNN (blog)
The failure to include any reference to slavery was a mistake, and for that I apologize to any fellow Virginian who has been offended or disappointed,McDonnell said in a written statement. "The abomination of slavery divided our nation,...