melt : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the process whereby heat changes something from a solid to a liquid
the power failure caused a refrigerator melt that was a disaster
- v reduce or cause to be reduced from a solid to a liquid state, usually by heating
melt down gold
The wax melted in the sun
- v become or cause to become soft or liquid
The sun melted the ice
the ice cream melted
The heat melted the wax
- v become more relaxed, easygoing, or genial
- v lose its distinct outline or shape; blend gradually
Hundreds of actors were melting into the scene
- v become less clearly visible or distinguishable; disappear gradually or seemingly
The tree trunks are melting into the forest at dusk
- v become less intense and fade away gradually
her resistance melted under his charm
- Climate change is melting the glaciers of the world's highest mountains, affecting millions downstream.
- Swiss chocolate maker Barry Callebaut has stumbled on what it's calling the first melt-resistant, low-calorie chocolate.
- A new report sheds light on Greenland's quickening meltdown and why that's distressing.
News & Articles
- Antarctic Ice Shelves Melt Mostly From Below
When iceberg chunks break off of floating ice shelves, it can serve as dramatic proof of melting — and this traditionally has been considered the main way that these expanses of Antarctic ice become smaller. But new research reveals a disconcerting finding that is invisible to the naked eye: These ice shelves primarily melt from below.
June 13, 2013 - LiveScience.com via Yahoo! News
- The lowdown: Antarctic ice shelves melt from below
By Douglas MainLiveScienceWhen iceberg chunks break off of floating ice shelves, it can serve as dramatic proof of melting — and this traditionally has been considered the main way that these expanses of Antarctic ice become smaller. But new research reveals a disconcerting finding that is invisible to the naked eye: These ice shelves primarily melt from below.Knowing what is driving ice-shelf ...
June 13, 2013 - NBC NEWS
- Melt, a new grilled cheese shop in Towson, set for mid-July opening
The owners of Melt, a new grilled cheese restaurant in Towson, said last week that they plan to open at 22 West Pennsylvania Avenue in mid-July.
June 12, 2013 - Baltimore Sun
- Lindsey Graham in Nick.com
Unless you have a complete meltdown, you're going to get confirmed,said Senator Lindsey Graham, a Republican from South Carolina. "And I don't think you will (melt down)."
- President Bush in Kansas City Star
The snow is going to melt in the Hindu Kush Mountains, and when it does we can expect fierce fighting,President Bush said in a recent address in Washington.
- Kevin Rudd in Blacktown Sun
We are facing a change of season, as the winter snows melt and the spring thaw begins, which usually indicates a heightening in military activity on the part of the Taliban and al-Qaeda,Mr Rudd told reporters. "Therefore, 2008 will be...