- n the process whereby heat changes something from a solid to a liquid
the thawing of a frozen turkey takes several hours
- n warm weather following a freeze; snow and ice melt
they welcomed the spring thaw
- n a relaxation or slackening of tensions or reserve; becoming less hostile
the thaw between the United States and Russia has led to increased cooperation in world affairs
- v become or cause to become soft or liquid
the ice thawed
dethaw the meat
- For once, talk about a thaw in the cold war seemed realistic.
- Inevitably, the announcement in Washington and Moscow of an exchange of visits between Dwight Eisenhower and Nikita Khrushchev stirred talk around the world of a deep thaw in the .
- The television freeze is still on, but a big spring thaw is on the way.
News & Articles
- Stanley Cup rivals Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin savor Swiss-made friendship
CHICAGO — They agreed to a moratorium on text messaging once the Stanley Cup playoffs began. But in no way did it suggest there was a thaw in the friendship between Patrick Kane and Tyler Seguin, a pair of NHL wunderkinds whose relationship developed during the lockout when they played together in Switzerland.
June 16, 2013 - Boston Globe
- Spring flood costs add up
The costs from our spring flooding after the late thaw continue to tally up. Today FEMA and North Dakota Emergency Management officials met in Grafton to talk damage.
June 15, 2013 - WDAZ 8 Grand Forks
- Pete Carroll says Jim Harbaugh has done “a marvelous job”
Seahawks coach Pete Carroll may be seeking to thaw the frosty relationship between his team and the division rival 49ers. Asked in an interview on NFL Network about the war of words that has erupted between his team and 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, Carroll didn’t take the bait and instead talked about how much respect…
June 15, 2013 - NBC Sports: ProFootballTalk
- President Bush in Bloomberg
It took a while for the credit system to freeze up; it's going to take a while for the credit system to thaw,Bush said in a speech in Washington to the US Chamber of Commerce, the world's biggest business federation representing more than 3...
- Alan Greenspan in Los Angeles Times
When home prices finally stabilize, Greenspan said, then "the market freeze should begin to measurably thaw and frightened investors will take tentative steps towards re-engagement with risk."
- Mikhail Kasyanov in Minneapolis Star Tribune (subscription)
Look around: There is no thaw and there will be none,Mikhail Kasyanov, a former prime minister, wrote recently in one of the few remaining independent newspapers.