- n (film) a gradual transition from one scene to the next; the next scene is gradually superimposed as the former scene fades out
- v become weaker
- v cause to go into a solution
The recipe says that we should dissolve a cup of sugar in two cups of water
- v come to an end
Their marriage dissolved
- v stop functioning or cohering as a unit
The political wing of the party dissolved after much internal fighting
- v cause to lose control emotionally
The news dissolved her into tears
- v lose control emotionally
She dissolved into tears when she heard that she had lost all her savings in the pyramid scheme
- v cause to fade away
dissolve a shot or a picture
- v pass into a solution
The sugar quickly dissolved in the coffee
- v become or cause to become soft or liquid
The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase
- v bring the association of to an end or cause to break up
The decree officially dissolved the marriage
the judge dissolved the tobacco company
- v declare void
The President dissolved the parliament and called for new elections
- Because adults wanted to dissolve difficult marriages with fewer strings attached, reformers made it easier in the late 1960s to dissolve nuclear families.
- Fans grow up, and their youthful interests quickly dissolve.
- Above all, it gives more power to Chvez through an augmented presidency that can now dissolve Congress.
News & Articles
- Still no decision on arts hall dissolution
More than seven months after plans to dissolve the Arts Center of North Texas were put into motion, the three owner cities have still not come to an agreement regarding how to best carry out that task.
June 23, 2013 - The Frisco Enterprise
- Michigan Republicans pass bills to dissolve struggling schools
The Republican-led Michigan Senate has given the green light to bills that will allow the state to selectively dissolve troubled school districts and send the students to neighboring schools.
June 20, 2013 - ABC12 Mid-Michigan
- Bill to dissolve insolvent school districts nears final OK in Senate
The bills, which narrowly passed on a 20-18 vote, would give the authority to dissolve a financially insolvent school district that has between 300 and 2,400 students. Currently, that would capture the Buena Vista and Inkster school districts, but not Pontiac, the other most financially troubled district in the state, which has about 5,000 students
June 19, 2013 - Detroit Free Press
- Rick Perry in PolitiFact
Oh, I think there's a lot of different scenarios,Perry replied. "We've got a great union. There is absolutely no reason to dissolve it. But if Washington continues to thumb their nose at the American people, you know, who knows what may...
- Yasuo Fukuda in Wall Street Journal
When the public and lawmakers strongly voice a need to dissolve the parliament, I think it wouldn't be good to resist that call,Mr. Fukuda said on NHK.
- Viktor Yushchenko in International Herald Tribune
If the work of the majority is not renewed on the basis of the constitution, I will sign the decree to dissolve parliament,Yushchenko told a conference of his party's delegates Saturday morning, prompting wild cheers and applause.