losses : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n something lost (especially money lost at gambling)
- n something that is lost
- n gradual decline in amount or activity
- n the act of losing someone or something
- n the disadvantage that results from losing something
- n the experience of losing a loved one
- n the amount by which the cost of a business exceeds its revenue
- n military personnel lost by death or capture
- n euphemistic expressions for death
- Taxpayers face losses on a significant portion of the $81 billion in government aid provided to the auto industry.
- For BofA, that's $15 billion more in losses.
- She sees losses from all loan defaults exceeding $500 billion in 2008.
News & Articles
- Crude Pares Losses on U.S. Jobless Claims
West Texas Intermediate crude pared losses as fewer Americans than forecast filed applications for unemployment benefits and U.S. retail sales increased.
June 13, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Futures Pare Losses After Economic Reports
U.S. stock index futures trimmed their losses Thursday, lifted by a report that showed retail sales rose more than expected in May and weekly jobless claims fell near its lowest level in five years.
June 13, 2013 - CNBC
- Rupee pares losses as exporters come to rescue
By Swati Bhat MUMBAI (Reuters) - The rupee recovered a large part of its losses on Thursday, helped by dollar sales from a corporate and exporters, but disappointment over lack of any specific measures ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! Finance
- Dmitry Medvedev in Washington Post
The security of our peacekeepers and civilians has been restored,Medvedev said in a nationally televised statement. "The aggressor has been punished and suffered very significant losses. Its military has been disorganized."
- Ben Bernanke in Bloomberg
Compensation practices at some banking organizations have led to misaligned incentives and excessive risk-taking, contributing to bank losses and financial instability,Fed Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said today in a statement. "The Federal...
- Humberto Moreira in The Associated Press
The decline in the housing market set off a domino effect across our economy. When home values declined, borrowers defaulted on their mortgages, and investors holding mortgage-backed securities began to incur serious losses...... Investment banks... President Bush http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFh0u2JMmcpgHHAEOKNoPb27FyIcg AHN http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7012421765&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHSKFCXFPtY9JKJtNMhxiyAmgH-eQ Sep 24, 2008
59397 79233 lost ...Moreira, governor of the border state of Coahuila, said more than 20,000 homes had been flooded in his state alone, and about 80,000 people had lost all of their furniture."