- n (with `in') guardianship over; in divorce cases it is the right to house and care for and discipline a child
my fate is in your hands
too much power in the president's hands
- n the force of workers available
- n the (prehensile) extremity of the superior limb
he had the hands of a surgeon
- n a hired laborer on a farm or ranch
- n something written by hand
- n ability
- n a position given by its location to the side of an object
- n the cards held in a card game by a given player at any given time
- n one of two sides of an issue
- n a rotating pointer on the face of a timepiece
- n a unit of length equal to 4 inches; used in measuring horses
the horse stood 20 hands
- n a member of the crew of a ship
all hands on deck
- n a card player in a game of bridge
- n a round of applause to signify approval
- n terminal part of the forelimb in certain vertebrates (e.g. apes or kangaroos)
the kangaroo's forearms seem undeveloped but the powerful five-fingered hands are skilled at feinting and clouting"- Springfield (Mass.) Union
- n physical assistance
- v place into the hands or custody of
- v guide or conduct or usher somewhere
- The world's first commercially available bionic hand took many hands many years to develop.
- Nobody nowadays would seriously suggest limiting a medical examination to a look at the patient's hands, poked daintily through a curtain, as was once the case with high-ranking .
- A man's hands can tell a lot about himthe kind of work he does, his attention to personal cleanliness, the extent of his vanity.
- Abd al-Karim Qasim in Boston Globe
We are still digging with our hands and shovels because we can't use cranes because many of the houses were built of clay,Qassim said.
- Sepp Blatter in BBC Sport
In France they have made an 'affair d'etat' with football, but football remains in the hands of the federation,said Blatter. "We will help the national association and if it cannot be solved by consultation, then the only thing we have is...
- Stephen Conroy in Melbourne Herald Sun
The court's decision today and its decision in 2008 in District of Columbia v. Heller both make clear that we can work to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists while at the same time respecting the constitutional rights of law-... Michael Bloomberg http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bloomberg&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNF0yS62k8BJaV-YE-tVY5NKrA5nbA BusinessWeek http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-06-28/high-court-ruling-challenges-gun-limits-across-u-s-.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGDvhSEsts4-g3iYaNeJe_onPizLg Jun 28, 2010
45272 61758 handset I am satisfied that Telstra has . . . sufficiently rectified the problems I identified in January, including handheld handset coverage, customer information provision and the availability of equipment and services," Senator Conroy said.