- n a soldier who performs his duties without proper care or effort
- n an idle worthless person
- n a brick-shaped block that looks like gold but is not
- n anything that is supposed to be valuable but turns out to be worthless
- v deprive of by deceit
- v avoid (one's assigned duties)
- Front-line soldiers have long argued that the Army could stop worrying about its manpower reserves if it just cashed in a few of its rear-echelon goldbricks.
- Among its 113 characters, every military type is representedthe good soldier, the coward, the goldbrick, the rank-happy shavetail, the lucky and the wound-prone.
- In spite of his rare protective talents as a chowhound and goldbrick, Lanza's throat was so raw with Texas dust that he could not sing.