- v avoid (one's assigned duties)
The derelict soldier shirked his duties
- v avoid dealing with
She shirks her duties
- Women forced the revolution by staging one of their own: in the 1970s they began storming into the workforce, making it harder for men to shirk child care.
- Rather than delay acknowledgement and try to shirk blame, Ajinomoto has quickly accepted responsibility and done what companies, particularly Japan's, most hate .
- The avoidance of these topics allows European politicians to shirk tough questions and deprives them of the opportunity to educate their people about the security and humanitarian .
News & Articles
- Kimberly Juniors scholarship winners, officers named
Kimberly Juniors officers for 2013-14 were installed at the organization's recent annual meeting at Kimberly Crest, former home of the Kimberly Juniors' founder, Helen Cheney Kimberly, and her daughter Mary Kimberly Shirk.
June 15, 2013 - Redlands Daily Facts
- Albright awards 23 Shirk scholarships to Berks students
Albright College has awarded the 2013 Eugene L. Shirk Scholarships to 23 students from high schools throughout Berks County. The individual awards, worth between $70,000 and $100,000 over four years, total about $1.85 million over four years, college officials said. Shirk Scholar recipients must complete 25 hours of community service each semester and maintain a 3.0 grade point average ...
June 12, 2013 - WFMZ Eastern Pennsylvania and Western New Jersey
- Swimming Pool Drownings
Tragedy strikes a family in Visalia as a 50-year old woman and her three-year old grandson drown. It happened in a swimming pool at a home off south Jacques Street. The neighborhood is located near Walnut Avenue and Shirk Road. Police say the grandmother was at her home with her grandson. They decided to go for a swim and then something went terribly wrong. Family members arrived at the house ...
June 12, 2013 - CBS 47 Fresno
- John McCain in Reuters
I will not shirk the mantle of leadership that the United States bears. I will not permit eight long years to pass without serious action on serious challenges,McCain said.
- Ehud Olmert in International Herald Tribune
Olmert told a meeting of Kadima legislators that "I am in a personally uncomfortable position, but I will not shirk my responsibility and will fix all the mistakes," according to Israel Radio.
- Gordon Brown in Daily Mail
Mr Brown added: "Britain will not shirk our responsibilities to the people of Zimbabwe and I am determined that we do all we can to help them forge a better future for themselves and their children."