downing : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n United States landscape architect who designed the grounds of the White House and the Capitol Building (1815-1852)
- v drink down entirely
- v eat immoderately
- v bring down or defeat (an opponent)
- v shoot at and force to come down
- v cause to come or go down
- v improve or perfect by pruning or polishing
- The downing of the aircraft was "a barbaric act," Prime Minister Mohammed Nawaz Sharif fumed at a service in Mehran honoring the dead airmen.
- Like clockwork, al-Qaeda-linked Sunni insurgents quickly claimed responsibility for Wednesday's downing, which brought to 28 the number of helicopter fatalities in the five crashes.
- Sir Menzies Campbell in Independent
Former Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell said: "Treating the Dalai Lama as only a religious leader simply ignores reality. There is no reason why he should not be received at No 10 Downing Street. Many people will conclude that the Prime...
- David Cameron in Telegraph.co.uk
These are very serious matters,Mr Cameron said. "I'm sure that Number 10 Downing Street and the Civil Service in some way will want to have some sort of inquiry to get to the bottom of what has happened here."