- n the land on which real estate is located
he built the house on land leased from the city
- n material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use)
the land had never been plowed
- n territory over which rule or control is exercised
he made it the law of the land
- n the solid part of the earth's surface
the plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land
- n the territory occupied by a nation
he returned to the land of his birth
- n a domain in which something is dominant
a land of make-believe
- n extensive landed property (especially in the country) retained by the owner for his own use
the family owned a large estate on Long Island
- n the people who live in a nation or country
- n a politically organized body of people under a single government
an industrialized land
- n United States inventor who incorporated Polaroid film into lenses and invented the one step photographic process (1909-1991)
- n agriculture considered as an occupation or way of life
there's no work on the land any more
- v reach or come to rest
The bird landed on the highest branch
The plane landed in Istanbul
- v cause to come to the ground
the pilot managed to land the airplane safely
- v bring into a different state
this may land you in jail
- v bring ashore
The drug smugglers landed the heroin on the beach of the island
- v deliver (a blow)
He landed several blows on his opponent's head
- v arrive on shore
The ship landed in Pearl Harbor
- v shoot at and force to come down
the enemy landed several of our aircraft
- Despite the real estate boom, towns across America's heartland are giving acreage away.
- Land mines Princess Diana devoted much of her life campaigning the ban of land mines.
- Suburbs keep sprawling, highways keep gobbling up land, vacation resorts keep paving over waterfront acreage, often with no respect for the best long-term use of land.
News & Articles
- Land Trust reports on invasive species, access to trails
Happy solstice and summer from the Land Trust of Napa County. The field season is in full swing here at the Trust, and it’s been a busy time for stewardship activities out on our preserves.
June 22, 2013 - Napa Valley Register
- Land trust earns national recognition
WENATCHEE — The Chelan-Douglas Land Trust has received an accreditation seal from the Land Trust Accreditation Commission, an independent program of the Land Trust Alliance. This seal indicates that the land trust meets national standards for excellence, will uphold the public trust and ensure that conservation efforts are permanent.
June 21, 2013 - The Wenatchee World
- Land Rover Helps Nature Conservancy
Land Rover Las Vegas is lending a hand to The Nature Conservancy, putting one of its off-road vehicles to work for scientists whose jobs rely on tackling some of Nevada's toughest terrain. Land Rover helped cover the costs of a used vehicle for use by
June 20, 2013 - Las Vegas Review-Journal
- President Bush in Reuters Canada
President Ford was a great American who gave many years of dedicated service to our country,President George W. Bush said in a statement. "With his quiet integrity, common sense, and kind instincts, President Ford helped heal our land and...
- Barack Obama in BusinessWeek
He has applied the Constitution and the laws of the land with fidelity and restraint,Obama told reporters in the White House Rose Garden April 9.
- Lewis Booth in Motoring
Ford is committed to negotiations at a more detailed level with Tata about Jaguar and Land Rover,Ford executive vice-president and former boss of Ford SA Lewis Booth said. "There is still a considerable amount of work to do. No final...