calling : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the particular occupation for which you are trained
- v assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to
- v ascribe a quality to or give a name of a common noun that reflects a quality
- v get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone
- v utter a sudden loud cry
- v order, request, or command to come
- v pay a brief visit
- v call a meeting; invite or command to meet
- v read aloud to check for omissions or absentees
- v send a message or attempt to reach someone by radio, phone, etc.; make a signal to in order to transmit a message
Hawaii is calling!
A transmitter in Samoa was heard calling
- v utter a characteristic note or cry
- v stop or postpone because of adverse conditions, such as bad weather
- v greet, as with a prescribed form, title, or name
- v make a stop in a harbour
- v demand payment of (a loan)
- v make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands
- v give the calls (to the dancers) for a square dance
- v indicate a decision in regard to
- v make a prediction about; tell in advance
- v require the presentation of for redemption before maturation
- v challenge (somebody) to make good on a statement; charge with or censure for an offense
- v declare in the capacity of an umpire or referee
- v lure by imitating the characteristic call of an animal
- v order or request or give a command for
- v order, summon, or request for a specific duty or activity, work, role
- v utter in a loud voice or announce
- v challenge the sincerity or truthfulness of
- v consider or regard as being
- v rouse somebody from sleep with a call
- The President said that he would "call out" those who spread misinformation about his speech, but why wait? Let's start by calling out these liars.
- Unlimited calling is $25 per month, plus about $4 in taxes and surcharges.
News & Articles
- Calling all cowboys, cowgirls to Western Week
Mabank’s calling all cowboys and cowgirls to the 58th Annual Rodeo and Western Week. Let the games begin at the Mabank Pavilion on Tuesday, June 25. The game portion of Western Week will start at 6:30 p.m. The ever-popular bed races begin at 8 p.m.
June 21, 2013 - Athens Daily Review
- APD gives tips on calling 911
When calling to report a crime or incident in Athens, the Athens Police Department has shared tips for those contacting law enforcement through 911 (emergency) or 745-3687 (non-emergency).
June 21, 2013 - The Daily Post-Athenian
- Richmond calling for ambassadors for the Redskins Training Camp
The countdown is on: with the Redskins set to arrive in Richmond in just a few weeks, the city is now calling on fans to be ambassadors for the football team's training camp.
June 21, 2013 - NBC 12 Richmond
- David Johnston in Vancouver Sun
My wife and I have always believed that service, whether it is to family, community, university or country is our highest calling,said Johnston in a speech Thursday. "We are proud to have this opportunity to serve Canada and our fellow...
- Boris Johnson in San Jose Mercury News
I would like to see a bit of cool heads rather than endlessly buck-passing and name-calling,said London Mayor Boris Johnson. "When you consider the huge exposure of British pension funds to BP it starts to become a matter of national...
- Rick Perry in Malaysia Sun
If you are going to conduct yourself that way, we are going to prosecute you,Perry said. "If you don't want to be prosecuted for those activities, then maybe Texas is not the place you need to consider calling home."