- n a structural member used to stiffen a framework
- v prepare (oneself) for something unpleasant or difficult
- v support or hold steady and make steadfast, with or as if with a brace
- v support by bracing
- v cause to be alert and energetic
- s imparting vitality and energy
the bracing mountain air
- The vast middle of the speech the part after his bracing introduction ("I don't work for a party .
- I'd add the bracing moment of Bush with the bullhorn in the ruins of the World Trade Center, but that was neutered in my memory by his ridiculous, preening appearance in a flight .
- The report of this unusual case last September was just the latest shock from a bracing new field, the science of consciousness.
News & Articles
- Md. residents told to prepare for storm
Maryland is bracing for severe weather. Officials in several counties, along with the Maryland Emergency Management Association (MEMA) issued advisories Wednesday.
June 12, 2013 - ABC 2 Baltimore
- USGA Braces for Heavy Rain in First Round of U.S. Open at Merion
The U.S. Golf Association is bracing for severe storms that could stop play during tomorrow’s first round of the U.S. Open, where Tiger Woods is seeking his first major victory in five years.
June 12, 2013 - Bloomberg
- Severe weather threatening parts of Midwest
The Windy City is bracing as a powerful storm rolls through, one that forecasters warn could hit there and other areas around the Midwest, quickly and with fury. A tornado warning has been issued for central Kendall County, Illinois -- about 50 miles ...
June 12, 2013 - KMBC-TV Kansas City
- Khaw Boon Wan in 940 News
This will put a tremendous burden on patients, their families and the health care system in each country,said Singapore Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan. "Singapore will not be spared. Cancer is already our top killer and we are bracing...
- Barack Obama in Examiner.com
People have every right to be angry,Obama said. "Those plumes of oil are off the coast. Fishing grounds are closed. Tar balls are coming ashore. And people are bracing for more."
- Campbell Brown in Washington Post
American forces across Iraq are bracing for a possible violent reaction to the execution and we should say that NBC News is not going to broadcast videotape of the execution,newscaster Campbell Brown said.