- n a cgs unit of dynamic viscosity equal to one dyne-second per square centimeter; the viscosity of a fluid in which a force of one dyne per square centimeter maintains a velocity of 1 centimeter per second
- n a state of being balanced in a stable equilibrium
- n great coolness and composure under strain
- v be motionless, in suspension
The bird poised for a few moments before it attacked
- v prepare (oneself) for something unpleasant or difficult
- v cause to be balanced or suspended
- v hold or carry in equilibrium
- Chief asset: "an easy poise that seems to say,'.
- Since the release of his debut album, Jay, in November 200010 brooding, soulful, surprisingly sensual ballads and quiet pop tunes delivered with a poise that would make Craig .
- The poodles who make it to the show are known for their poise, their fine bone structure and their willingness to submit themselves to dubious hair styles.
News & Articles
- Markets settle down after recent volatility
Markets recovered their poise Wednesday, a day after investors around the world were spooked by the failure of the Bank of Japan to announce further easing measures. On Tuesday, stocks were hit while the ...
June 12, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- STANG SOFTBALL: Spartans freshman Machado playing like a seasoned veteran
Poise? Check. Maturity? Check. Athletic ability? Check. You’d never know it, but Madison Machado, Bishop Stang’s shortstop and No. 5 hitter in the lineup, is only a freshman.
June 11, 2013 - Fall River Herald News
- Ballet - Pre
Let your child experience the joys of dancing! These ballet classes teach poise, coordination, and classical ballet technique in a positive and imaginative atmosphere.
June 11, 2013 - WPXI Pittsburgh
- Tony Dungy in Worcester Telegram
We said at halftime we just needed to keep our poise and we'd have a chance in the fourth quarter,coach Tony Dungy said after watching his Colts put 32 points in the second half, 17 in the final 15 minutes.
- Pau Gasol in International Herald Tribune
We were pretty physical,Gasol said. "We were able to contain them, keep our poise and finish the game off. I had to make sure I took it to them, not settle for easy jumpers. I'm glad I was able to get over that hump of a slow start. It...
- Bruce Bochy in The Canadian Press
At 20 years old, he's got great composure and poise out there,Bochy said. "He's got a good look about him. You like his presence on the mound."