- n an electrical force linking atoms
- n a certificate of debt (usually interest-bearing or discounted) that is issued by a government or corporation in order to raise money; the issuer is required to pay a fixed sum annually until maturity and then a fixed sum to repay the principal
- n a connection based on kinship or marriage or common interest
their friendship constitutes a powerful bond between them
- n (criminal law) money that must be forfeited by the bondsman if an accused person fails to appear in court for trial
a $10,000 bond was furnished by an alderman
- n a restraint that confines or restricts freedom (especially something used to tie down or restrain a prisoner)
- n a connection that fastens things together
- n a superior quality of strong durable white writing paper; originally made for printing documents
- n United States civil rights leader who was elected to the legislature in Georgia but was barred from taking his seat because he opposed the Vietnam War (born 1940)
- n British secret operative 007 in novels by Ian Fleming
- n the property of sticking together (as of glue and wood) or the joining of surfaces of different composition
- v stick to firmly
- v create social or emotional ties
The grandparents want to bond with the child
- v issue bonds on
- v bring together in a common cause or emotion
- Investors looking for safety have dived into bonds.
- The bonds in default were issued for two plants that Whoops calls Projects 4 and 5.
- The collapse of the extraordinary rise in prices for German Government internal bonds, long predicted by Wall Street, has at this writing apparently occurred.
- Barack Obama in Kansas City Star
You see the amount of these [sovereign bond purchasing] operations, of this programme, and we have the feeling -- but we will continue to observe it with great attention -- that what is needed in terms of the level of interventions on our part has... Jean-Claude Trichet http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Trichet&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFQ3i5kKC7Jq7XUiVMILRUSPAVq7w Market News International http://www.google.com/url?q=http://imarketnews.com/%3Fq%3Dnode/16174&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHLWpPNzcHWxWnj_tbdkB7BOyIX2g Jul 8, 2010
11496 15917 bond Even in times of tough conversations with Netanyahu, he said, the underlying approach never changes, and that is, the United States is committed to Israel's security. We are committed to that special bond."
- Osama bin Laden in TV3 News
The strength of faith is in the strength of the bond between Muslims and not that of a tribe or nationalism,bin Laden says on the tape.