- n neckwear consisting of a long narrow piece of material worn (mostly by men) under a collar and tied in knot at the front
he stood in front of the mirror tightening his necktie
he wore a vest and tie
- n a social or business relationship
he was sorry he had to sever his ties with other members of the team
- n equality of score in a contest
- n a horizontal beam used to prevent two other structural members from spreading apart or separating
he nailed the rafters together with a tie beam
- n a fastener that serves to join or connect
- n the finish of a contest in which the score is tied and the winner is undecided
their record was 3 wins, 6 losses and a tie
- n (music) a slur over two notes of the same pitch; indicates that the note is to be sustained for their combined time value
- n one of the cross braces that support the rails on a railway track
the British call a railroad tie a sleeper
- n a cord (or string or ribbon or wire etc.) with which something is tied
he needed a tie for the packages
- v fasten or secure with a rope, string, or cord
They tied their victim to the chair
- v finish a game with an equal number of points, goals, etc.
The teams drew a tie
- v limit or restrict to
I am tied to UNIX
These big jets are tied to large airports
- v connect, fasten, or put together two or more pieces
- v form a knot or bow in
tie a necktie
- v create social or emotional ties
- v perform a marriage ceremony
- v make by tying pieces together
The fishermen tied their flies
- v unite musical notes by a tie
- How to tie a tie 2.
- Wide or skinny, plaid or plain, synthetic or silk, the tie is a Father's Day staple--nearly 4.
- The humble neck tie is in crisis, just thank the New Economy.
News & Articles
- Tie dye is colorful start to Indian Prairie Library summer of fun
DARIEN — The Indian Prairie Public Library has the ages-old art of tie dye down to a science. “We’ve done this before,” said Jane Hartney, teen programming director at the library. As has become the tradition at Indian Prairie, the teen advisory board kicked off a summer full of family fun Monday with tie dye night. “Every year, members ask if that’s how we’re going to start out our summer ...
June 11, 2013 - The Doings Weekly
- Armed men tie up aide, rob elderly Houston couple of $12,000
Armed men tie up aide, rob elderly Houston couple of $12,000 Houston Chronicle Copyright 2013 Houston Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 2:36 pm, Tuesday, June 11, 2013 Houston police are searching for two men who forced their way into a southwest Houston home and robbed some elderly residents last month, Harris ...
June 11, 2013 - Houston Chronicle
- Gators tie Texas A&M for NCAA men's outdoor track title
UF rallied to pull even with Aggies The Florida Gators men's track and field team used a dramatic late rally to tie Texas A&M for the team NCAA Outdoor Track and Field national title Saturday at Hayward Field in Oregon.
June 11, 2013 - Orlando Sentinel