- n the finish of a contest in which the score is tied and the winner is undecided
- n the act of repulsing or repelling an attack; a successful defensive stand
- Long derided as ineffectual, the Organization of American States steps up to mediate a dangerous standoff between Andean power players.
- The search for a diplomatic solution to the Iran nuclear standoff has raised question over how to manage the region's other key nuclear program -- Israel's.
- PHILADELPHIA: A hostage standoff at a Philadelphia check-cashing store ended peacefully Friday afternoon.
News & Articles
- SWAT standoff ends with chemical gases
After a six-hour standoff at his Rio Rancho home, Orin Jackson came out of the building Friday.
June 15, 2013 - KOAT Albuquerque
- Standoff at Motel 6 on Victory Drive, stay tuned for more info
News Leader 9 is on the scene of a standoff at the Motel 6 on Victory Drive. Authorities tell us that a man who was being served with warrants has barricaded himself into his hotel room.
June 14, 2013 - WTVM 9 Columbus
- Officials in standoff with suspect in southeast Houston
Officials in standoff with suspect in southeast Houston Houston Chronicle Copyright 2013 Houston Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Published 6:49 am, Friday, June 14, 2013 Police officers are in a standoff with a suspect Friday morning at a home in southeast Houston. The incident started about 4:30 a.m., at 4700 Scenic ...
June 14, 2013 - Houston Chronicle
- Sheikh Hasina in USA Today
We don't want to use force to break the standoff,Hasina said. "But don't play with our patience. We will not hesitate to do whatever is needed to end the violence if peaceful means fails."
- Roza Otunbayeva in Los Angeles Times
Regrettably for us, we're clearly talking about a standoff between two ethnicities,interim President Roza Otunbayeva said in the capital, Bishkek, Reuters news service reported. "We need [to muster] forces and means to stop and calm these...
- Vice President Dick Cheney in Jerusalem Post
...Iran is something the world can live with, like the US did with the Soviet Union: "An enemy with fantasies of martyrdom is not going to sit down at a table for negotiations. Nor can we fight to a standoff, hoping that some form of...