- n (criminal law) money that must be forfeited by the bondsman if an accused person fails to appear in court for trial
the judge set bail at $10,000
- n the legal system that allows an accused person to be temporarily released from custody (usually on condition that a sum of money guarantees their appearance at trial)
he is out on bail
- v release after a security has been paid
- v deliver something in trust to somebody for a special purpose and for a limited period
- v secure the release of (someone) by providing security
- v empty (a vessel) by bailing
- v remove (water) from a vessel with a container
- Wary of Congress's reluctance to bail out Lockheed in 1971 and New York City in 1975the legislators finally voted for both programs by small marginsthe Carter .
- The largest bail ever posted in Germany is 1,000,000 marks ($238,000).
- Most usually stay out on bail.
News & Articles
- Bail denied for mother, caregiver charged in murder of autistic teen
Bail was denied today for a mother and a caregiver charged with the stabbing death of an autistic teen. Prosecutors said it was a cold, calculated, premeditated murder. Prosecutors said the victim’s mother and caregiver, who is also the boy’s …
June 12, 2013 - WGN TV Chicago
- La. bail agent arrested in alleged kidnapping
A bail enforcement agent and another suspect have been arrested by Bossier City police on charges they illegally detained a man.
June 12, 2013 - KPLC Lake Charles
- Bail for ex-Hawk Mookie Blaylock set at $250K in fatal accident case
JONESBORO, Ga., June 11 (UPI) -- A Georgia judge Tuesday set bail at $250,000 for former Atlanta Hawks player Mookie Blaylock on charges stemming from a car crash that killed a mother of five.
June 12, 2013 - UPI
- John McCain in Sydney Morning Herald
The Republicans' presidential candidate, Senator John McCain, said in an interview: "The first thing I'd do is say, let's not call it a bail-out. Let's call it a rescue. Because it is a rescue. It's a rescue of Main Street America."
- President Bush in Forbes
It's not the government's job to bail out speculators or those who made the decision to buy a home they knew they could never afford,Bush said in the Rose Garden. "Yet there are many American homeowners who could get through this difficult...
- Nancy Pelosi in AFP
Working in a bipartisan way, we sent a message to Wall Street. The party is over,said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. "The era of golden parachutes for high flying Wall Street operators is over. No longer will the US taxpayer bail out the...