- v stop sleeping
- a not in a state of sleep; completely conscious
lay awake thinking about his new job
still not fully awake
- s mentally perceptive and responsive
awake to the dangers of her situation
was now awake to the reality of his predicament
- Sure, you've been awake 16 hours, but you have a giant thermos of coffee and a few tunes to keep you going.
- Interrogators kept the unidentified detainee awake by chaining him to the walls and floor of a cell, according to government officials and memos issued with an internal CIA report.
- Meena called the women of Afghanistan sleeping lions, pledging that one day they would awake and roar.
News & Articles
- Local Head Starts scaled back under federal budget cuts
In a one-bedroom apartment in Riverhead, 18-year-old mother Jennifer Reyes often lies awake at night wondering how she’ll care for her family. She’s already cut back hours at her retail job to tend to her 3-year-old daughter, Ashley, and she has another baby on the way.
June 16, 2013 - The Riverhead News-Review
- Video: Flood relief needed along Highway 11
For two straight nights, Alice Bramstedt stayed awake listening to her sump pump struggle to keep up with the rain. Bramstedt said she can do little more than wait through a storm because the past month already has left her family's farm reeling. A drainage project later this year will ease runoff in southeast of Sioux Falls.
June 15, 2013 - The Argus Leader
- Updated: Social media posts from day 2 of Bonnaroo
Festival goers awake for Day 2 of 2013 Bonnaroo in Manchester today, with the news of Mumford and Sons' cancellation and the eagerly awaited Paul McCartney show the big topics of the day:
June 14, 2013 - Knoxville News Sentinel
- Max Clifford in Brisbane Times
She was saying a final goodbye to some people,Clifford said. "She finds it very hard to stay awake for more than a few minutes but she stayed awake for the 20 minutes of the service."
- Hillary Rodham Clinton in Guardian Unlimited
After all the hard work getting rid of literacy tests and poll taxes, we've got to stay awake because we've got a march to continue,Clinton said in a speech interrupted numerous times by applause and shouts of approval. "How can we rest...
- Barack Obama in CTV.ca
With many Americans "lying awake at night wondering if next week's paycheque will cover next month's bills," Obama said it was necessary to move swiftly to bring the economy back to full health.