- n condition of heightened watchfulness or preparation for action
bombers were put on alert during the crisis
- n a warning serves to make you more alert to danger
- n an automatic signal (usually a sound) warning of danger
- v warn or arouse to a sense of danger or call to a state of preparedness
We alerted the new neighbors to the high rate of burglaries
- a engaged in or accustomed to close observation
caught by a couple of alert cops
alert enough to spot the opportunity when it came
constantly alert and vigilant, like a sentinel on duty
- s quick and energetic
- s mentally perceptive and responsive
an alert mind
alert to the problems
- A new PTI poll finds little shift in voters preferences following orange alerts, Democratic convention.
- Some critics maintain the kidnap-alert system could lead to false arrests or worse.
- People put on masks as they arrive at Melbourne's Austin Hospital on June 3 as Australia raised the swine-flu alert level in the worst-hit state of Victoria On Tuesday the World .
News & Articles
- Alert Issued for Missing Cleveland Teen
CLEVELAND — Authorities have issued an alert for a missing Cleveland teen. Meaghan McGee, 15, was reported missing on June...
June 21, 2013 - FOX 8 Cleveland
- Amber alert issued for 16-month old Asheville boy
An Amber Alert is in effect Friday for a 16-month-old boy. Authorities say Jayden Wilson Squire was last seen in Asheville with Russell “Rusty” Squire, 25, as he left the Thunderbird Motel on foot.
June 21, 2013 - The Charlotte Observer
- Amber Alert canceled for Asheville 16-month-old
Police canceled an Amber Alert after a man took his son to the police department. Authorities had issued an Amber Alert for 16-month-old Jayden Squire late Thursday night. Police said the boy was taken by 25-year-old Russell Squire in Asheville. The child's mother said Squire strangled her until she was unconscious and then took the child. Squire took the child into the Asheville Police ...
June 21, 2013 - WSOC-TV Charlotte
- Bastian Schweinsteiger in The Associated Press
We have to remain calm and not get provoked and I hope the referee will be very alert. You could see their behavior at halftime of the game against Mexico,he added of a pushing and shoving incident during the second-round match. "When you...
- Gordon Brown in International Herald Tribune
As the police and security services have said on so many occasions, we face a serious and continuous threat to our country,Brown said. "But this incident does recall the need for us to be vigilant at all times and the public to be alert at...
- Charlie Crist in ABC News
These storms have a mind of their own,Florida Gov. Charlie Crist said after a meeting Saturday with mayors and emergency officials. "There are no rules, so what we have to do is be prepared, be smart, vigilant and alert."