- n a New Testament book describing the development of the early church from Christ's Ascension to Paul's sojourn at Rome
- n a legal document codifying the result of deliberations of a committee or society or legislative body
- n something that people do or cause to happen
- n a subdivision of a play or opera or ballet
- n a short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
- n a manifestation of insincerity
- v perform an action, or work out or perform (an action)
- v behave in a certain manner; show a certain behavior; conduct or comport oneself
The dog acts ferocious, but he is really afraid of people
- v play a role or part
- v discharge one's duties
She acts as the chair
- v pretend to have certain qualities or state of mind
- v be suitable for theatrical performance
This scene acts well
- v have an effect or outcome; often the one desired or expected
- v be engaged in an activity, often for no particular purpose other than pleasure
- v behave unnaturally or affectedly
- v perform on a stage or theater
She acts in this play
- The sex acts themselves seemed more extreme than we remembered.
- Suppose two men committed separate acts of extremist murder in the United States within a month.
- Significant acts and facts of the new 76th Congress, which convened last week: The House In electing four members to vacancies on the omnipotent Ways.
News & Articles
- Outside Lands Adds Acts
San Francisco’s Outside Lands Music Festival has added a few acts. All four artist additions fall on the electronic music side of the spectrum: Cherub, GRiZ, Baauer and Rhye.
June 21, 2013 - Jambands.com
- Schaumburg announces Septemberfest music acts
Schaumburg has announced several of the main stage musical acts for this year's 43rd annual Septemberfest over Labor Day weekend. Lee Rocker of The Stray Cats will perform from 8:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 31; Steve Augeri, onetime lead singer of Journey, will perform from 8:30 to 10 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 1; and Septemberfest regulars 7th heaven will perform from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Monday, Sept. 2.
June 20, 2013 - Daily Herald
- Acts of Kindness: Katia Cheetany
A Henderson teacher is bringing the importance of healthy food choices into her students' lives with a unique garden club. 8 News NOW is rewarding her efforts in this week's Acts of Kindness.
June 19, 2013 - KLAS Las Vegas
- Jens Stoltenberg in Salon
These are separate individuals that are responsible for criminal acts,Stoltenberg said. "It is always bad to judge a whole group of people from what individuals are doing and that is independently of what group these people belong to."
- Lee Myung-bak in Telegraph.co.uk
Now things are different. North Korea will pay a price corresponding to its provocative acts,said President Lee.
- John McCain in International Herald Tribune
McCain replied: "I don't think I did anything that any other American wouldn't do and the great honor and privilege of my life was to serve in the company of heroes and to observe a thousand acts of courage and compassion and love."