- v forsake, leave behind
We abandoned the old car in the empty parking lot
- v give up with the intent of never claiming again
- v leave behind empty; move out of
- v stop maintaining or insisting on; of ideas or claims
He abandoned the thought of asking for her hand in marriage
- v leave someone who needs or counts on you; leave in the lurch
- s forsaken by owner or inhabitants
weed-grown yard of an abandoned farmhouse
- s free from constraint
an abandoned sadness born of grief"- Liam O'Flaherty
- This architect has abandoned traditional cube and sphere building blocks for more amorphous forms.
- But the gay adoption boom may be less about support for gay rights than it is about the urgency of finding homes for abandoned children.
- Thousands of boats, ships and barges sink every year in American waters, and most of them remain abandoned forever wreaking havoc to undersea ecology.
News & Articles
- Abandoned House Concerns
What appears to be an abandoned house in the middle of one small community is causing problems for neighbors and elected officials.
June 18, 2013 - WTAJ-TV Altoona
- Abandoned Landfill Could Soon be Cleaned Up
An abandoned landfill in Panama City may soon be cleaned up. The landfill is off of Sherman and 9th avenue.
June 17, 2013 - WJHG Panama City
- Abandoned home destroyed in fire
An abandoned house was destroyed after it was found engulfed in flames.
June 16, 2013 - KERO 23 Bakersfield
- Barack Obama in Politico (blog)
Missing fathers "have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it," Obama said in 2008.