- v cause to be embarrassed; cause to feel self-conscious
- s feeling or caused to feel uneasy and self-conscious
felt abashed at the extravagant praise
- In the cozy glow of the Crimea, the Big Three presumably were not abashed by the change.
- The actor has a furtive, slightly abashed niceness, the yearning of a square peg trying to fit into a cool hole.
- Thus, slightly abashed but nonetheless proud, she will confide, "He's kind of a genius, you know.
News & Articles
- Comment on Teens and pot use: Parents, here’s what you need to talk about by KarenJ
I attempted to bring up the problem that I was having with my teen in another story and was was routinely abashed by the stoner crowd. They blamed all my teen's problems with pot due to bad parenting. My response to #2 was an emphathic yes on all questions. You can read my posts on the other article, if you wish to see how pot use has ruined a young man's life. Tyring to have a locigal and ...
Jan. 3, 2014 - Denver Post
- Lionel Shriver in The Guardian
OK, it's official,said Shriver on learning of her win. "Kevin no longer belongs to me, but to you lot. While I am abashed at this honour, Kevin himself is smugly self-satisfied. Think of all the attention that one school mass murder has...
- Duncan Kerr in Tasmania Mercury
I was also abused by Mr Ellis personally in the street in vituperative terms,Mr Kerr said yesterday in the House of Representatives. "So a private citizen might feel somewhat abashed at the prospect of risking entry into a debate regarding...
- Richard Lugar in Channel 4 News
Last year I was visiting Atlanta for the opening there of my film of 'Richard III.' The Governor was not abashed and in compensation he declared me an 'aide de camp' in his gubernatorial Militia, with the status thenceforward of Lieutenant Colonel... Ian McKellen http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_McKellen&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHDaeGMHS-fAywdFwZj21DsfA0_Qg Sovo.com http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.sovo.com/thelatest/thelatest.cfm%3Fblog_id%3D8387&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHXj-Ie6VMnxf_Fv1TFU_PATd26fQ Jul 26, 2006
67 434 abate American military and diplomatic strategy in Iraq must adjust to the reality that sectarian factionalism is not likely to abate any time soon and probably cannot be controlled from the top," the Warner-Lugar proposal stated.